Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had been having pinched nerves and nerve blood supply problems for about a year. Just had season ending lumbar back surgery. One fused and two decompressed. Will miss the rest of the season but should be ready next spring. Just got home from the hospital Monday evening, surgery was the previous Friday, 6/12/09 at 10:00am and lasted approximately 8 hours. Have a 5 1/2 inch incision in the front then they buttoned up the front, flipped me over and finished up from the back side. All hobbled up at this point but don't have the old aches and numbness. Have a back brace and a walker. I live in the house where I was brought home from the hospital when born. My father had a bad back in his later years and at that time they built a new master bath with assist bar in the shower and next to the toilet. I didn't know when I moved back in that I would make use of them so early in life(57 years old?). Will be off of work about three months. I know I don't post much but all of the sudden I have more time to interact. I think this is a good place to spend some quality healing time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel you bro! I've been on Dialysis for the last year and half spend alot of time reading post and getting good info on my nova, hope you feel better soon:D

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Bummer, I just had a triple bypass and was feeling sorry for myself but I'm pretty much out of pain, I can only imagine the recovery you're going through. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Bummer, I just had a triple bypass and was feeling sorry for myself but I'm pretty much out of pain, I can only imagine the recovery you're going through. Best of luck!
TRIPLE? :eek: When was this?

oneowner73 :yes: Hope You feel better and enjoy the time off as best as you can.... Happy surfing

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i feel your pain ! i NEED surgery as well . everyday is chronic pain . May i ask what is the procedure for decompressing ?

Hope you heal well and never have pain again !

jason

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your back problems,I sure hope you heal quickly.It seems as we age we don't get over stuff like this as quickly as we'd like to.This place really helped me out while I was taking some bad chemo about this time last summer.I wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I am very curious about what your going threw.

They want to do the same to me. But I will not let them.

Please keep informed of result.

Get well soon! :yes:

AL

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get well Dude ! Had my lower 4 discs fused 2 years ago.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
yeah its hard to do anything when you screw your back up i had a unfortunate accident when i was 17 on my dirt bike long story short i shattered my tail bone and my spine looked like this ) had to go to a chiropractor for three months and had to have numrous cat scans to see what was happening doctor told me that my back will be bad the rest of my life and im 32 so i have something to look forward to :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
it sux

C4-5 bulging to midline, C5-6 bulging to the left , C6-7 bulging to the right , L4-5 Herninated and placing significant pressure on the thecal sac ( spinal cord ) at this level , L5-S1 bulging

C5-6 fused so far , they keep putting me off on fusing L4-5 , now its dehydrated ,, they say its like a rasin instead of a grape now , hurts less , but different ,, C6-7 will need to be removed in the near future prolly ,, can't feel my fingers on my right hand , right arm will draw toward my chest at times ,, then it quits and frees up.

Making progress on numbing and " burning " selective nerves in my back ,, its a touch and go process but it works ,,, you get 6 monthes to 2 years relief and then it needs done again ,, first ,, they have to locate the specific nerves thats causing the problem ,,, been working on this since sep 08 ,,

Eh ,, ya gotta keep going though ,, Novas to build , drag racing doesn't leave your system just because you get hurt ,,LOL ,,,

Went looking today at Cat equipment ,, if my gov stimulus/grant $$$$ comes through like they're promising , we're gonna do road construction and reclamation for gas well drilling operations here and maybe in Pa , like to get back to doing some over the road trucking too ,,, , 6 million grant available from the forrestry department , so we're looking at a wood pellet plant to make use of logging waste and small hard wood thats usually left in the mountains to rot ,,

So life can keep going on ,, depends on how bad you want it to

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm in the same boat, lumbar fusion, and cervical fusion, just had another cervical done on June 5, OH, what fun...I came down with pneumonia while in the hospital so that is prolonging the recovery right now. I can't wait to get back in the shop to play around and the next goal will be get back in the race car. Oh, wait, I guess I have to get cleared to drive a street car first..
Now is a good time to do alot of reading and learn anything possible. :D
Big Al, do alot of research before you let anybody do the surgery, this stuff has not been perfected like heart or knee surgery. My lumbar surgery made it worse, however, my cervical helped alot but things are falling apart faster then expected that is why I had to go back and do it all again. I now have a total of seven fusions and it makes tieing your shoes tuff, let alone climbing in and out of the race car. I was hoping to go out to Irwindale tonite to watch for a little while but I doubt I'll make it, maybe next week, I'm a firm believer in moving around as much as possible during recovery instead of just letting the muscles get weaker.
Oneowner, keep us posted on your progress! I hope it goes perfect for you!

The best thearpy in the World is getting back in a race car!:D:D I can't wait!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts