Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just want to give our members a heads up. DO NOT buy 2nd gen nova IFS from Scott's Hot Rod. I just wasted over $5000 dollars and a lot of hours only to find out 6 months later that it was built wrong. How can you make a frame and weld the motor mount brackets in the wrong location on the frame, wrong sway bar brackets and different upper control arms than what is standard? Then on top of that blame me for all the problems.

This company should be steered clear of. 6 months of work down the tubes and had to remove it.

Here is my Summary of the journey,

10/24/18 Ordered new front frame assembly for a 1967 Chevy II automobile.
I purchased the frame kit as a direct bolt on unit to replace the old system to a modern style “Independent front suspension” (IFS).

Over the 6-month period that I have been assembling this unit I have run into clearance issues with the motor, transmission, steering and radiator. Causing me to have to make several modifications to the frame unit so they would fit.

Problems started right from day 1, with missing parts.
After getting the frame mounted to the car and trying to get the motor installed, I found out the company sent the wrong motor mounts.
They then sent me 3 different mounts over a few weeks till I was able to get the motor installed correctly, or so I thought.

When asked why I was having problems, I was told the employee who built the unit did not follow QC procedure of documenting the build and they were not sure which mounts I should have.

Over the next few months I had to modify many components, radiator, steering linkage, to make them fit.

Then when the car was almost complete, and I was trying to install the headers for the exhaust system and found that there was absolutely no room for the exhaust to fit and would require custom headers to be made to fit.
This is when I started looking into other frames made by this company and found several physical differences between my frame and other ones made by this company and shown on their web site.

After several months of fighting to modify and tweak things I sent photos to a header manufacture that Scott’s Hot Rod recommended. I was told they have made headers for other customers with the same frame unit from Scotts Hot Rod without any issues.

After reviewing my frame set up, Jim Browning, Vice President at Ultimate Headers, said that the motor mount brackets were in a “strange Location” and he didn’t have a Off the Shelf version that would fit.

I then called Scott’s Hot Rod and informed him about what I found. Scotts Hot Rod told me one of his customers with the same setup as mine used a set of Headers from a company called Stainless Works. I purchased these headers and they didn’t fit, not even close.

I then sent the same pictures and measurements to Justin at Scotts Hot Rod. They reviewed the pictures and Justin confirmed that the motor mount brackets were indeed welded in the wrong location. This is a Major problem and is the reason for motor mount issues and most of the clearance issues.

7/24/19 This was when I decided enough is enough and made the decision to move forward with a new supplier and purchased a new frame assembly.
I have over 200 hrs. in building this car and had to remove the Scott’s Hot Rod frame assembly and start all over again. I have spent an additional $2000 plus on parts that would not fit this frame. I also have spent another $5000 to purchase another frame set up from another supplier. The install of this system has gone together without any of the previous problems. Headers, steering column and radiator fit without any interference.

Lastly, the owner admitted the frame was not built correctly and sent to me defective. If the frame from Scott’s Hot Rod was built like all the other units posted on his web site there would not have been any of theses problems. They refused to refund my full cost.

Dealing with the owner, has been nothing short of aggravating. Many times, when I called, he was very defensive and not helpful, pretty much blaming me for the problems.

Just installed a IFS kit from Chassieworks and let me tell you it fit like a glove no clearance issue, great knowledgeable Tech support, Thanks C Ray.

Keyzdave

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
512 Posts
Oh boy, what a horrible experience!!! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow that really sucks dude! Think I read a few 'not so great' reviews from Scott's IFS on this forum...

I bit the bullet and went with the battle tested DSE IFS for my 66! Ye ole 'Buy once Cry once' philosophy.

Chucks new IFS looks promising...

Good luck with your build!

MC

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I generally keep my mouth shut due to the "no vendor bashing rule" but I wouldn't walk across the street for any of his stuff if it was free. I personally have never bought from them but my buddy used his stuff on a 56 Chevy. Wrong parts shipped. Called them. Wrong parts shipped again. Over and over again. Supposed to pick up all the wrong stuff. Never did. They are a total joke in my opinion. I don't know how they are still in business.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well, not alot to say, but it sounds like its over at least. Im thinkn best thing is to put those memories behind ya and enjoy the new progress and a proper set up from here on out. We got rest of our lives to earn more money...enjoy your new set up now and focus on finishing it up. Sounds like a cool build, lets see it already!!! Lol, jk man, good luck from here on out n keep us posted!

P.s. TCI Pro touring front clip here with all the goods and custom back half/mini tub.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I generally keep my mouth shut due to the "no vendor bashing rule" but I wouldn't walk across the street for any of his stuff if it was free. I personally have never bought from them but my buddy used his stuff on a 56 Chevy. Wrong parts shipped. Called them. Wrong parts shipped again. Over and over again. Supposed to pick up all the wrong stuff. Never did. They are a total joke in my opinion. I don't know how they are still in business.
Listen, Im not here to bash anyone. But I felt the need to share my experience. I've moved on and am very happy in my life. This was just another lesson in life that I share. Move on. My philosophy in life is "If your not adding happiness to my life your not invited" and "If your not having fun do something else" The price of knowledge can be expensive.
Keyzdave

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Listen, Im not here to bash anyone. But I felt the need to share my experience. I've moved on and am very happy in my life. This was just another lesson in life that I share. Move on. My philosophy in life is "If your not adding happiness to my life your not invited" and "If your not having fun do something else" The price of knowledge can be expensive.
Keyzdave
I hear ya and I really don't think it's vendor bashing. I wouldn't want to see anyone else experience the same misfortune. I just had a similar experience with the interior on my wagon. Sat in a shop for 18 months, big deposit, nothing done. I pulled the car about 3 weeks ago. I too am going forward and not dwelling on what's done. Doesn't change anything. Good luck with your project.
Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts