Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 773 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's what the car looked like before I started tearing into it again.

Here's the car as it sits today

Here's some of the goodies I got today :yes::)

DSE Deep tubs

Moser M9 with back brace and G-Bar ready

AirRide suspension (same as a G-bar)

Wilwood brakes

Hydraboost system

I've had these for a while already, but these are the rims I have

So I thought I would finally do a build thread on my car. It's a 68 Acadian that I orginally bought for $700. When I got it, it was white with black racing stripes. I fixed the car up on a pizza shop manager's wage. I had it painted cherry red, rebuild the 350 and th350 and put on 15" cragar rims with BFGoodrich tires. Now that I actually have a career and make way more money than I did back then, I'm doing the car again...but the way I want to. My plans are as follows: (this will probably change many times as I keep changing my mind. I will update as I change my mind)

Pro Touring theme

Suspension, brakes and tires:

18" New Gen Splitters, polished lip and brushed centers.
Rears are 18 x 10 with 5.50" backspacing with 305-30-18 Nitto tires
Fronts are 18 x 8 with 475" backspacing with 245-35-18 Nitto tires
Speed Tech Performance subframe with Speed Tech high clearance tubular control arms.
Speed Tech 1.25" solid sway bar.
Unisteer rack and pinion kit
Ridetech single adjustable coil overs
Wilwood 6 piston calipers with 12.2" rotors. Part 140-7675DR-D6
Prodigy bar rear suspension (airbar with adjustable arms) with Ridetech single adjustable coil overs
Moser M9 housing. The housing was narrowed to 57 1/4" from axle flange to axle flange with big bearing Ford ends.
Moser 31 spline axles
Strange Pro Nodular centre section with 3.70 gears and half billet posi
Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 12.2" rotors. Part 140-7140-DR

Drivetrain:

LS3 6.2L crate motor. Hope to be around 550 hp.
Speartech ECU with DBW
Comp Cams camshaft: 226/234 .598”/.612” 114LSA custom cam using EPS on intake and LXL lobes on the exhaust.
LS3 intake with LS3 ported and polished throttle body
Speed Tech Performance / Stainless Works long tube polished headers.
Wegner Motorsports polished diamond cut serpentine kit
Tremec TKO600 with MGW shifter
Monster stage 3 clutch
Relocated coils
MBM 8" dual diaphragm booster. Part PN8531SS
Wilwood master. Part 260-8556-P

Interior:

Flaming River polished tilt steering column
Flaming River Waterfall leather steering wheel
2005 GTO leather power bucket seats in front and GTO rear seats
Custom console with 7" LCD screen
Thunder Road gauge cluster
Speedhut gauges
Vintage Air Gen IV air conditions
Billet Specialties air conditions louvers

Body:

New sheet metal includes:
Goodmark: quarter panels, inner rear wheel wells, deck filler panel
Auto Metal Direct: 2" cowl hood, inner fender wells, rear cross rail, rear tail light panel, quarter panel end caps, door skins
DSE deep tubs
Firewall has been completely smoothed
Paint will be House of Kolor's apple red with black base coat

Other notable parts:
Ring Bros billet hood hinges
Fesler billet trunk hinges
Autorad Aluminum rad support with radiator and dual 14" fans

Stereo:

JL Audio stereo (haven't decided what but will be big)

Here's how I hope it turn out.

I hope to get working on the car next week as the wife and daughter will be gone for 4 days. I will be living in the shop. Will update as I go.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Hey Mike!!

Just wanted to thank you again for the awesome deal on the SSBC brake kit. After drooling over your Speed Tech control arms in your pics for the brakes I ordered up a set for my Nova. The uppers got here THE DAY AFTER I ordered them. The lowers are being made right now and should be here in a week or two.

In addition to waiting for the lower control arms, I'm waiting on my Hotchkis TVS kit... so much I'm waiting for...

So yeah, I can't wait for more pics of your ride! :pics:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's the Wilwood master I got today also

I must say thanks to Frank at Prodigy Customs and www.gpsuperstore.com for all he did. I got smoking deals from him on the housing and the brakes. He also went out of his way to get all the brackets welded on the housing so I didn't have to worry about finding pinion angles. If you need parts...give him a call. He's great to deal with. Thanks also to Nightshade for the sheetmetal. He was also great to deal with. Thanks again Jeff...will be in touch again.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Oooo.... shiney! :)

I'm a long way off from putting those brakes on. I finally got done with detailing my front frame.

Frame after power wash

Starting sanding/scrubbing

Before sand blasting

After sand blasting and cleaning with wax/grease remover (this is where I thought, 'hmmm... clear paint would look sweet')

And paint (Eastwood rust encapsulator, then extreme chassis black)

Alright, I don't want to be a post hog, this is YOUR post! LOL! I think I'll start up a post that's the 'Idiot's Guide to Frame Restoration'. :D

Now it's on to detailing the firewall. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
hey sherp,
thanks for the info on you and your car.
of course you're not gonna exceed the LEGAL speed limit in that hotrod of yours are ya?:D oh,i know...i'l be gettin pulled over on the coquilhalla highway(GOING REALLY FAST) by a trick 68 acadian with a cherry flashin' on top."honest officer,i was speeding to the hospital because i'm allergic to the bee sting i just got.................yada,yada,yada,............"

anyways,i'm glad you're part of the site and i hope you can attend the silvercreek(hope,b.c.) cruise-in on jun 8th.if your car isn't ready,you can still join the festivities.
leftcoast carl.:canada:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy...the frame's looking good. Make sure to post some pics when you get the control arms and brakes on. I want to see how they looks. Oh wait.....I already know...hehe.

hey sherp,
thanks for the info on you and your car.
of course you're not gonna exceed the LEGAL speed limit in that hotrod of yours are ya?:D oh,i know...i'l be gettin pulled over on the coquilhalla highway(GOING REALLY FAST) by a trick 68 acadian with a cherry flashin' on top."honest officer,i was speeding to the hospital because i'm allergic to the bee sting i just got.................yada,yada,yada,............"

anyways,i'm glad you're part of the site and i hope you can attend the silvercreek(hope,b.c.) cruise-in on jun 8th.if your car isn't ready,you can still join the festivities.
leftcoast carl.:canada:
Now why would I use the Acadian to pull people over. Hell I'd be too scared that someone would try and smash into me. We seem to have so many people crashing into our cruisers lately trying to get away from us. If we weren't harassing them, they wouldn't have to try and run. Damn cops. Plus...if I smack up a cruiser...I don't feel bad at all. Although it would be cool to see the expression on someone's face when they pull up to the line, do a huge burnout and take off only to have a set of red and blues in the car they were trying to intimidate..hehe. As for Hope...I would love to come..unfortunately the car will be no where close to being done. I'll have to check my schedule and see if I'm off that day. I've already booked my holidays so can't take any more.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Nice looking car!

But you might want to call the Fire Department in
your area as I smell a credit card that's on fire! :)

Scott

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
cool project, im not much into the donk style rims though.. I like the old ones on the subframe though. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Unfortunately I've had a bit of a set back. I was going to mock up the brakes and tires too and have it on all fours, but Moser sent me the wrong axles. Now I have to wait a couple weeks until I get the new ones. Oh well. I knew that everyone wouldn't like everything I'm doing to this car, but that's okay. It's not their money or their car. I know on this site there are more stock style cars than pro touring. Personally I think they all look great. Now...back to the shop to do some more cutting to get the deep tubs in. :devil::D

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car since my last post, but I did get a few opportunities to get in the shop. I started doing the deep tubs install, but has taken longer than it should have. I originally cut a piece out of the floor and was going to stretch the wheelhouse, then I decided to do the deep tubs. I'm doing a lot of guess work as I can't measure from the stock wheelhouse location. My welder has become my greatest friend. Along with a sheet of metal to fill in when I cut too big. I've got the passenger side deep tub and new outer wheelhouse mocked up. I also put in a new trunk drop off. Now to mock up the quarter panel to make sure my outer wheelhouse lip is right. I did find though that with the deep tubs and the 285/35/18 tires I have....I have almost 2" more that I can go. May have to get some 12" wide rims. Anyone looking for a set of 18" Foose rims and tires?? :devil: Anyways...here's some pics.

I had to cut a rusted piece off the rocker panel. Will be an easy patch.

Frame notched.

Wheels mocked up.

Quite a bit of room still.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Build what ya want

Thats what I say. Most of us only get one good chance, so might as well do what you want. I like the ride, wheels and all. I'm a box style guy but there is a chromoly chassis 69 down the street I'd give my arm for. Keep up the good work.
Zim

1 - 20 of 773 Posts