Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get it that any three pedal car that's raced should have a scattershield or approved bellhousing. But I'm not excited about the fab drama that brings when trying to run a 153 tooth flywheel and the OEM clutch linkage.

But I got to thinking about this idea... I have no interior in my rig right now. Seems like it would be pretty easy to fab up a 1/4" plate welded onto the interior of the floor to accomplish the same end result (protecting my legs, feet, testes, etc.)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bellhousing

Your idea would not pass safety inspection. Even with DOT legal tires, your vehicle should have SFI rated clutch, bellhousing, and helmet. Front drive shaft loop also.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I kinda think the plate is only going to be as strong as what is supporting it. So the plate may still be attached to the floor, but nothing is holding the floor. Maybe just a heavier piece of shrapnel to hit you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, this is what the chronic tinkerer dreams up while bored. I snapped out of it and found a used lakewood on this site. Done. Thanks everyone!

On a side note, I understand you need to check alignment on those with a dial gauge? Not sure how to do this, can anyone run me thru what exactly to check?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I get it that any three pedal car that's raced should have a scattershield or approved bellhousing. But I'm not excited about the fab drama that brings when trying to run a 153 tooth flywheel and the OEM clutch linkage.

But I got to thinking about this idea... I have no interior in my rig right now. Seems like it would be pretty easy to fab up a 1/4" plate welded onto the interior of the floor to accomplish the same end result (protecting my legs, feet, testes, etc.)
as has been already stated about not passing tech,.. the scattershield keeps pieces off of the engine block, spectators, & the other drivers tires..

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Be sure to run the block plate too. It's just as important as the bellhousing part. And use all the bolt holes all the way around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scattershield Idea

Duntov why not run a hydraulic throwout bearing, McLeod makes a nice one that replaces your front bearing retainer on your transmission. It comes in a kit for Nova's with all the brackets and fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bad Memories

Don't forget an SFI approved billet flywheel as well. :yes:
Duntov i saw something that you might have not considered. I didn't see this happened but i was there. When i did get there the Ambulance type dude's had a guy laying face down passed out on the gurney . There was a shark fin sticking out of this left leg, it was almost centered length wise as if it was placed for a horror movie. The Medic said the clutch had gone thru the car and hit this guy with so much force and heat that there was no blood. If there was i didn't see any. When i check out the car the bottom of the trans was gone, the clutch appeared to bounce off the road and came back into the car about where the clutch pedal was. The pedals, dash were trash and a hole like the metal had been torn, pinball clutch. A few months later i had a new Shaffer clutch disk break, i had been giving a cast steel scattershield because nobody wanted it and it worked. Think of an auto crash with change in your spinning dryer but your dryer is violent. I can even imagine what that guy was thinking when it was happening, i told my girlfriend that Godzilla pick up the front of my car and was trying to claw at my legs. I was 16 years old and no idea what was happening, part of the clutch hit the water jacket and i thought my car was on fire and i was going to die.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts