Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if scat makes a 4130 forged crank. I've got a guy that wants to trade me money plus that crank for some heads. I haven't seen a 4130 from scat. It's a 3.75 small block crank. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
A production forging is made of 1045 carbon steel, which has a tensile strength of 105,000 pounds (the same as Scat's 9000 Series cast crank). The next step up the ladder is 5140 steel, which has a strength of 115,000 pounds, and 4130 with 120,000 pounds tensile strength. The strongest forging is 4340, which has a strength of 140,000 pounds. The biggest differences in these types of metal is the grain structure, (which is what holds the material together), the heat-treating process, and the actual mixture of the elements. For instance, 4130 and 4340 steel have more chrome and nickel in them, which increases strength

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I tried the scat website before but it's a pain to navigate. The crank is supposed to be new. I'm getting the crank plus 300 bucks for some heads I was selling for $650.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can tell the diff. but thanks. They are rect. port big chevy heads. 1 291 and 1 840 dated for may and june of 1969. Unported. I've had a bunch of calls on them but everyone wants only one of them. If I had a buyer for both at the same time they thought they were worth 200 bucks. I would rather have the money but, I hope I'm not getting screwed. ANyone know what the scat piece costs?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Man, havent heard that name in awhile. Scat used to be a name thrown around alot in the 80s. Im thinking I was with the Bug folks and a scat crank was a decent part to have. Havent heard the name in some time. Blast from the past. Oh, and they were good products back then.. JR

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Havent heard the name in some time.
You been living in a cave? Scat and Eagle are common as dirt--especially if you're from So.Cal., Scat has been doing this for a long time. They still do bug stuff, but I think it's taken a backseat to their V8 stuff. Just about any place that sells cranks carries Scat.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You been living in a cave? Scat and Eagle are common as dirt--especially if you're from So.Cal., Scat has been doing this for a long time. They still do bug stuff, but I think it's taken a backseat to their V8 stuff. Just about any place that sells cranks carries Scat.
It's not just a west coast thing. very popular here on the east coast also.:yes:

I always wondered if it was the same company as the old VW stuff.

Al

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
put those on ,,

I can tell the diff. but thanks. They are rect. port big chevy heads. 1 291 and 1 840 dated for may and june of 1969. Unported. I've had a bunch of calls on them but everyone wants only one of them. If I had a buyer for both at the same time they thought they were worth 200 bucks. I would rather have the money but, I hope I'm not getting screwed. ANyone know what the scat piece costs?
I'd put those on racingjunk.com and see what happens ,,i wouldn't be surprised if you could get 1000 for 'em ,,, untouched rec port heads ,,,

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
LOL Yup, been in the cave for some time, car STILL isnt done. I DO need to get out more :) JR

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
LOL Yup, been in the cave for some time, car STILL isnt done.
I'm getting antsy to get mine back together, but now we might stick my engine in the Dart to run Dragfest at Famoso--mid 12's is embarrassing!
I guess I can put in my 383 project for testing if I finish it first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts