Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1966 350/4-speed coupe
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to check my valve adjustment on my SBC 350 and I have two questions actually.

Is there an easy way to tell if my engine has hydraulic or solid lifters? I have no history or reference when I bought my car earlier this year.

With either one being the case, where can I find out the process to adjust them the proper way?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You could remove the drivers side valve cover off and rotate the engine so #1 comes up at TDC compression stroke. Grab the pushrod and see if it has up and down play in it or if its solid and can't spin. If it has play more than likely it could have a solid lifter cam. If you can't spin it its probably a hyd cam.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well I could try and explain the procedure.But I was looking through an older haynes manual and it explains it much better than I can.

Any type of service manual for a car with a chevy v8 will have the procedure....

6nova4 has the good info finding out what you have.....

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Would like to check my valve adjustment on my SBC 350 and I have two questions actually.

Is there an easy way to tell if my engine has hydraulic or solid lifters? I have no history or reference when I bought my car earlier this year.

With either one being the case, where can I find out the process to adjust them the proper way?

Thank you!
Where in NC are you located?

Al

·
Registered
1966 350/4-speed coupe
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I have solid lifters in my car. Considering I have no CAM card or a way of finding out what the valve lash should be (I bought the car from a car dealer and they won't give me the previous user's contact information), can you guys recommend a lash setting? Some of the pushrods are very loose.

I read somewhere that .022 might be a good start. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
before you go any further i would hate to see or hear that you broke your motor try this before you do anything

try to push down on a rocker arm that has the valve closed ( pushrod side ) not valve side ......... you should be able to push out or bleed the lifter youll feel it squeeze the oil out of it if its hydraulic if it dont budge then its a solid lifter. you can also try to tighten down the rocker arm nut or polly lock. you will be able to see the pushrod move down if its a hydraulic lifter , if it doesnt move then its a solid lifter. try these methods with the motor off and not running of coarse

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Just get a good light and LOOK down beside one of the pushrods. It might be easier to pull one of the pushrods out but look and see if there's a snap ring on the inside of the lifter body where the pushrod seats. If there is then most likely it's a hydraulic lifter!! If not and it's SOLID, then the answer is obvious.:D

and yes..... .022" would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1966 350/4-speed coupe
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll look once more to confirm, and adjust to .022 if they indeed turn out to be solid lifters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts