Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a ton of posts about this but cannot find what I'm looking for. Anyone have any approximate measurements on space from a stock intake on a small block to the stock hood line?

I want to figure out what I can get away with and whether or not I might have to go with a different hood but I don't want a cowl unless I need it. The thing is i have no engine in my car for reference and don't want to guess and find out after i drop the engine in that i will need a new hood.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be more specific - car is a 73 and I am not planning on running a stock intake I'm just looking for a frame of reference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Unless you want to start stacking spacers I think most any intake, carb. air cleaner will work. I ran Victor Jr intakes with small plates with a holley carburetor and air cleaner assembly without problems on a 72 model. You may have to get a drop base air cleaner if you want to add a lot of carburetor spacer but it shouldn't be a problem making most anything fit.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Yes, I would say keep in mind that manufacturers want to sell to the masses so unless you are running a tunnel ram pretty much everything would work without spacers as mentioned.
The only other thing to consider might be what you want to use for an air filter assembly.- but that will be easy to change out.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
523 Posts
On my 70 with a 350 and stock cast iron intake, I measured about 9" from the intake manifold carb mount surface to the hood. With a Qjet and 'typical' 14" drop-base chrome air cleaner (3" high filter element) installed, there is about 2.75" of clearance between the top of air cleaner and the hood.

This is the clearance to the hood skin, not to the reinforcement structure. Clearance to the reinforcement structure would be about 1" less.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
On the '70 4-door, I've got just a bit over 8.5" to the skin (there's an opening in the bracing, directly above where the carb would be located).
Stock frame, frame stands, motor mounts, and dual-plane intake, with a 1P RMS block 350.
The body bushings, however, are pretty ratty and compressed. With new body bushings, there would probably be 3/8 to 1/2 inch more.

The measurement actually surprised me. I knew I had clearance. But I didn't realize just how little clearance I had. The air cleaner nut is only about 3/8" from the hood, and it's a not a tall air cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts