Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got an offer for a nice BBC. Virgin 454, old hot rod build (will rebuild it)

But was wondering what consists of the trouble to convert, and is it worth it.

The specs:

1974 Nova
SBC 355 with TCI trans but not sure of rating
Power Brakes with the stock / large booster
Automatic
Street car, 1/8" drag racing a few times a year.

Or would you guys think a 355 with built vortec heads be better for this?

I looked for a thread but running out of time, gotta hit the work with O/T this week.

Thanks,

Dewayne

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It's an easy swap. Just need the right frame and engine mounts, big block heater core and box, and of course big block headers. Other than that it drops right in (basically). There are other smaller details, but it's pretty simple.

·
Registered
508 Posts
im a SB guy so im going to have to disagree with the swap. more money to build and a heavier car. if you builtd it mild your not going to really gain because the wait of the BB. the 355 with vortec heads will run fine and since you already got it it would be alot cheaper! JMO! i hope no one gets affended!!!!:devil:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would say since you are a street car and when you go to the track you only run 1/8th mile that I would stick with the 355. I have several reasons I say this.

1. The 355 will still allow you to get some fuel mileage on the street. With a BB you will lose that.
2. There is a big weight difference.
3. Unless you dump alot of money in the BB and run steep gears I think the car will be faster in the 1/8th with the SB.

Just my $.02 though.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I would run the SBC, nobody runs BBC any more. Just go to the races and look all the fast cars run SBC's. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I would run the SBC, nobody runs BBC any more. Just go to the races and look all the fast cars run SBC's. :rolleyes:
What-WHAT???:rotfl:

It all depends on what you want. Depending on what heads are already on the BBC you're looking at and the overall condition of the engine, it could EASILY be a monster in the making.:yes: A well prepped 468 could yield an EASY 550hp and well over 500lb/ft and still make enough vacuum for the power brakes..:rolleyes:

BUT.....your car is likely to be a bit more nose heavy and you'll feel it if you try to do any "spirited" driving. However, if you want/like the pizza cutter look then that really doesn't matter. :no:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just did a sbc to bbc conversion on my 69 it was kind of a pain but worth it I think. I went from a moderate 11.5:1 355 to a pump gas 9.5:1 427 and both engines get about the same mileage with 3.50 gears.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
BB and aluminum heads. I wouldn't trade my BB for a SB, it's a whole different experience, with tons of torque!

Go BB!!!!:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
What-WHAT???:rotfl:

It all depends on what you want. Depending on what heads are already on the BBC you're looking at and the overall condition of the engine, it could EASILY be a monster in the making.:yes: A well prepped 468 could yield an EASY 550hp and well over 500lb/ft and still make enough vacuum for the power brakes..:rolleyes:

BUT.....your car is likely to be a bit more nose heavy and you'll feel it if you try to do any "spirited" driving. However, if you want/like the pizza cutter look then that really doesn't matter. :no:
Are you sure that 468 idea sounds really bad to me. I either go with a 283 bored .125 or a 302.
PS: I have ran a BBC for the last 20 or so years :devil:

·
14,584 Posts
I have a 468 with the complete Edelbrock RPM kit in it. It put out 540 hp on the dyno in Denver. Here in Ca. it should pick up a few more hp. The compression ratio is only 9.5:1

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Big block

I converted my 74 to a 454, nothings better, took the original heater core soldered some copper extensions, turned it so the water terminals are towards the pssenger fender, drilled some new holes an plugged the old ones, easy fix you dont have to spend a lot of money. But I have a mig welder. Sold all my small blocks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the wife has talked me into doing the BBC convert, but waiting till later. She's gonna smack me if I pull this motor out... again. It's been in 3 cars, and never been fired. She's about ready to pull her hair out waiting to hear it fire up! lol. SO!

I have plans to do it, but later on. I found a different 454, virgin block but probly needs rebuilt. I can get it for $400 and it runs. I'll throw it in my shed and start a tear down and clean it up and get parts ready for the machine shop. During this time I'll be researching more so I'll be better prepared.

Thanks for the replies, but after long deliberation (and focusing on her truck problems, which aren't taken care of btw) I think I should just get the sbc in it running, and get ready to drive it for a while.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
BBC all the way. Sooo much more torque. If I could just slip one in my 65 without a torch it would be there.
Dont do it ! i have a 62 and the conversion (even with a heidts clip) is a PAIN IN THE butt !! I wish now i would have built a 421 sbc ... or 383 and turbo ...
The engine is so tight (and headers ) that if i need to ever pull the motor ,I WILL SELL THE CAR !!!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You ARE joking aren't you? There must be a ton of people putting very large valve covers on all those small blocks... :rolleyes: We are at a track someplace or the other about every week and we're certainly not seeing that by any stretch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts