Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 1971 nova

Engine: 468 bbc alum heads

Technical notes: swaped old subframe for new '72 powdercoated subframe, installed the motor on the correct BBC frame to motor mounts.

Problem: When i go to install the headers (Doug's shorty's for correct year) they hit the ps box, I jacked the motor up and jimmied them in but they are still off from bolting up at the top by about 3/4 of an inch. And i couldn't get an oil filter on if i tried. And they are tightly pressed against the PS box. Scratching them all up.

What i think might fix it: Either i have the frame to engine mounts backwards or sideways or upside down somehow and it moves the engine over to the passenger side a inch, OR (what i am probably going to do) is take it to a muffler guy i know and have him heat them up and bend them slightly to make them fit.

Questions: Has anyone had an issue like this before? If so how did you overcome it? Also, is there a special way the mounts mount up? If i switched them around the edge of the mount wouldn't be flush with the subframe curves. (not sure if it would change anything)

Sorry didnt get pics of how close it is and how its hitting.

Thanks in advance for any advice! Will be towing the car to the muffler shop tomorrow if i cant resolve it another way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you tried the taller motor mounts ? it might work ,, look in Moroso's site
Havent looked into those mounts, I dont really want to run a solid mount though. Its going to be a street car.

ALSO, my friend has a 454 chevelle with the same headers and he had to bang them in slightly to get them to clear his steering box as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you havent already you may want to read thru this thread..

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47083

has info on sb to bb conversion..:)
Wow big dog thanks man. You saved me from mashing my headers. I pulled a novice mistake, the engine mounts are switched so its sitting over to the wrong side. I am going to pull the motor tomorrow and put the mounts on the right sides then see where i am at. Hopefully it will fix the problem. Will post with a conclusion after i am finished. Thanks

btw, first thing people should check for when doing this swap is that they have those mounts the right way since they are two different sizes. future reference for others.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So changed the mounts and the headers fit with about 1/8th inch to spare. But that was just the start to my problems. The header bolt pattern was a little off so i either had to send it back and wait for a new one or drill out two of the bolt holes a little bit. So i decided for the time being i would just run them how they are slightly drilled out on 2 holes and see if it has leaks. If so i will send them back. But what a pain in the butt that was.

·
3,863 Posts
Phantom Coupe has not been here since 2012. Instead of dredging up real old threads maybe try starting a new one with your specific issue. You'll more than likely get a lot of input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your post

Good Afternoon,

To be honest, I just needed to make 10 post in order to view pictures. I made that generic response to meet the minimum number of post. I don't know if you meant to come off as internet security or you just purposely trolled for no given reason. Either way, thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers,

Box0cutter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts