Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I am pulling the SBC from the Nova tomorrow, and will also be pulling the heater core in preperation of getting the BBC heater core installed. Does anyone have or has someone made a template for drilling the holes for the BBC heater core nipples in the heater box? I will be pulling the inside cover, but I am not sure there will be room to get a drill in there and level to drill for the nipples. And it looks as if it would be much simpler to drill from the engine bay in, rather than drilling from the inside out. I have the BBC motor mounts, the motor is ready, one of the last big hurdles is the heater core. If anyone can help, or direct me to someone who can, I would be most appreciative.

Tiny

·
Registered
303 Posts
Instead of guessing on the modification of your small block heater cover. Why not buy the correct big block cover? They are only like 40 bucks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Agreed, get the correct cover. :yes: Also, the big block heater core is held in with different (Aqua colored) tension clips than the small block. I made some up for mine they are impossible to find and not reproduced.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess that is an option. I thought this was something I could get done in a short amount of time, but if I have to order I am looking at another week. Has anyone drilled the SBC heater box? If so how did it turn out? I saw the clip to hold the nipples was $20 by itself.

Tiny

·
Registered
458 Posts
i will doing the same next week, but i have a welder and all the tools, so i can re-weld the holes if they don't come out right. i will try to get u some measurements if u haven't already done it.

oh yeah^^^^^^^^ the sbc heater core tubes exit to close to the engine, making it pretty damn impossible to run the water hoses. :yes:

·
Registered
372 Posts
:yes:Yep what he said, if you don't switch over the heater hoses are very tight at the fire wall.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Im going to be doing the same thing. I really dont wanna buy a new cover unless i dont have too. Id rather just cut a hole in the small block cover for the big block heater core tubes then seal it up with something.

Anyone have any pics of just outter heater box for a big block?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying the BBC heater core cover. But that has led to the entire front of the car coming apart.

Tiny

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Agreed, get the correct cover. :yes: Also, the big block heater core is held in with different (Aqua colored) tension clips than the small block. I made some up for mine they are impossible to find and not reproduced.
So what have you guys done to replace the aqua clips?

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Instead of guessing on the modification of your small block heater cover. Why not buy the correct big block cover? They are only like 40 bucks.
Well, I guess that is an option. I thought this was something I could get done in a short amount of time, but if I have to order I am looking at another week. Has anyone drilled the SBC heater box? If so how did it turn out?

Tiny

I have modified several SBC covers and you cannot tell the difference between them and an original BBC cover. The covers are identical except for the two large holes for the heater core/heater hose and the two small screw holes holding the small plate that goes between the hoses and core. I hit some junkyards a few years ago and grabbed a dozen covers and figured out how to turn them into BBC covers. The best drill bit for the large holes is one of those bits that looks like a spinning top (a step bit I think its called). Buy the small cover for 12 bucks and get a measurement of where the two holes go and the rest is easy...

Tommy :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
When you converted over to a BBC heater core did any of you guys delete the holes for the SBC heater core tubes on the firewall? I was just going to weld up some of the holes where the tubes would come out with new sheetmetal. Have any of you guys done that? Have any pics.!?!?!

[/IMG]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts