Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine basics first. I have a 383 storker with 13 to 1 compression. MSD distrabuter LOL with full 25 degree advance. I have made some changes in the engine. What is a good baseline timing to start with before I take it to the track? From there I will dial it in closer. Does starting at thrity degrees sound unreasonable?

Thanks,
ERIC

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Start at 34 total and up it from there until the ET and speed falls off. More than likely you'll end up with around 36.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I,m advanced 25 degrees mecanical in the distrubor with no vaccumm advance, should I set the timing with a timing light a 11 degrees?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'd try 32 or 34 total to start with. Better to start low and go up in small increments to see how the car responds.

11 initial and 25 mechanical will give you 36 degrees total, you are correct. Depending on how aggressive your cam is in your engine, that might be a little on the low side for initial timing.

If you have the MSD distributor that allows you to change out bushings you can recurve your distributor to give you the same total timing while using more initial timing. I just installed on this weekend and used the biggest bushing (black one) which gives 18 degrees mechanical, so I can run 14-16 initial and stick around the 32-34 range.

You can time it at idle for 11 degrees initial, but it wouldnt hurt to double check your total by making a mark on your damper (say 32 or 36), revving it up, and making sure the mark does not advance past the 0 mark on your timing tab. Then you'll know for sure what you're running for total timing. Better to be sure in your driveway/garage than find out its too much at the track after several WOT passes.

I ended up putting two marks on my damper even though its degreed, just so I could see things better. I put one on the 0 mark on the damper and another on the 32 mark. Makes it easy to time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts