Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to get some idea's for a 327 or 350 sbc setup in a first and second gen Chevy II. What I am trying to decide is the style brackets to use for my alternator and pullies and such as well. Right now I have a 327 in the car without any holes on the heads for brackets, etc and I plan to run a better bracket instead of the long thin high mounted one that is on there now that never lines up or bracket bends. Also I plan to throw A/C into this car as well so I want something that not only functions great but looks good too.
The 350 I am building will have the holes on the heads so either setup will be great. I am just trying to get ideas on how I want mine setup to look clean. I will only have Alternator, water pump pulley, crank pulley and then A/C compressor. I haven't decided on power steering but most likely wont need it.
If you have any information on good kits you guys have used or recommend and pictures, that would be great! I understand there are already threads with engine pictures but I am looking for the info on your pulley and bracket setups along with the pictures as well if possible.
Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am just finishing my bracket and pulley setup on my wife's '66 Wagon. We are running a 350, along with Summit cast heads that have the accessory mounting holes. I went with the March Billet Alt. & A/C brackets that put them over the intake manifold. I am running a short water pump with factory power steering. You could use the stock P/S bracket, but I opted for the Summit Billet mount with the heim's style adjusting rod. You do need to run a triple groove crank pulley.

Here's the links to the brackets I purchased:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-21001/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-21002/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-340100/

Hope that helps!

Edit...forgot to mention. I was hesitant about the location of the A/C and Alternator, but after bolting everything up...I am very happy with how clean everything looks. We are hoping to break-in the motor this weekend and I will try and get some pics up for you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom I got your PM. Beans66, thanks for the info and pictures would be awesome when you get a chance! That's all I want, something plain, simple and very clean looking. Now you said you got summit cast heads. Which ones did you purchase and did you like them? On my 350 it came with some GM crate styled 75cc (yes 75 not 76cc) heads and I tore them off to check the pistons and pulled the cam, etc which I found was a bit too big for my taste in a street car. I need to buy a new cam kit and was thinking about maybe just buying new heads (possibly vortex setup I don't know).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Zoops has some nice billet pulley setups that are not as expensive as march. I used the a/c comp and idler tensioning arm setup on my 66.

Len

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The long water pump with PS mounted alt is best. (IMO)

The ugly part is the top bracket.

To save funds you can cut these down.

Or some aftermarket brackets.

The long water pump P/S mount does require mounting in the head.
If your heads do not have these you can make a bracket by modifying the existing bracket. Requires 2 lower brackets to make the modification.
we are close and I can help you with this.

Al

This is the long setup in Innovative63, (Tim) 65 Chevy II

I cut the top bracket to remove the ugly top part.
Only using the part that goes from the pump mount to alt adjustment.

·
Registered
788 Posts

This March serpentine system has been in daily use for over a year with virtually no problems. I did have one of the screws on the upper spanned width back out and I cured that with a little thread locking compound.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics and info guys! For some reason I did not get a notification through my email on this thread and totally forgot about it! Big Al, I like the alternator on the other side and low like that and it's what I'd like to do but what about when I add A/C? Isn't it easier to have the compressor on that side? I like the lower mounted stuff but just not sure how it will all work with the compressor for the A/C. I also haven't decided on power steering yet either. I did not drive this car much before I tore it down, only drove it for about 3-5 hours tops. With the stock size steering wheel it drove fine without power steering but I plan to go with a little smaller type aftermarket steering wheel which will make things a bit more difficult when in parking lots.
If I had a few thousand to spend on pulleys and brackets, I'd go with a nice polished serpentine belt setup but I just don't have that unfortunately.
Beans66, I do actually really like your setup. It's a little more money than I have but I think that if I can wait a few more months I could possibly save up for such a setup. Did you run a long or short water pump?
What kind of water pump should I run? I am going to look into how much work it is to add power steering as well just in case. I know some here do not run power steering and say it's fine so that is why I am not sure since I will be using this wagon as my daily driver and on long road trips.
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shawn,

I am running a short water pump so I can run an electric fan with no clearance issues. If you run a long pump, you can get brackets that will put the accessories in front of the heads and down lower. Not sure, but I would think it would eliminate the possibility of running an electric fan (on the rear of the radiator anyway). With A/C and the condenser, there is not room for a fan on the front.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Shawn,

I am running a short water pump so I can run an electric fan with no clearance issues. If you run a long pump, you can get brackets that will put the accessories in front of the heads and down lower. Not sure, but I would think it would eliminate the possibility of running an electric fan (on the rear of the radiator anyway). With A/C and the condenser, there is not room for a fan on the front.

Jeff
This is true of the Taurus fan, for sure. Other fans may or may not clear the long water pump. Measure, measure, measure!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that's the case then I should probably just not take a chance and buy a short pump for my 350? I want to change to an electric fan for sure. The engine driven fan on it now works fine but I'm sure once I add A/C and other things to the loop instead of everything being manual it will put more strain on the motor and also I am trying to get the best fuel mileage I can out of this car while still having decent power to mess with the local rice burners. :D
I think I am going to have to pick your brain a little more on your pulleys and A/C kit as well if you done mind Beans66. I have been looking at your engine a lot and really like the setup. Even though I do not care for the alternator and A/C being set up so high, it's kind of growing on me and yours still looks clean. That and when I need to work on it and pull them off it will be easier to get to. I am all about reliability and staying simple as well as easy to work on and comfortable. If it wasn't my daily driver then I would not worry about A/C compressor, power steering pump or anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ask away. I know I asked, researched...then asked and researched some more when I was trying to fit everything in that small engine compartment. Even spent money on parts that did not work the first time around. Maybe someone can learn from my stupid mistakes...lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts