Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBC 383 which I am putting back together after the previous owner blew it up. In double checking fitments of all parts, I found that the oil pump pickup height is totally incorrect to match the pan, and I'm stumped as to why.

Oil pump is a Melling 55HV with the small mesh box pickup.

Oil pan measures 8.25" deep from the mounting flange.

The distance from the oil pan deck on the block to the pickup face is 8.125 on one side and 8.3125 on the other (its bent a bit).

I ordered a new pickup from Summit specifically for the 8.25" pan and it looks EXACTLY the same as what I currently have. So achieving the proper gap is not looking good. I measured with the gasket in place as well and it just isnt enough to get to a 5/16-3/8 gap from pan to pickup.

Does anyone have an idea as to where this stackup is going wrong?

My solution is to order a pickup for an 8 inch pan, but Id like to know why this whole setup isnt quite right.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Put the pan on with the gasket using clay strips across the pickup and tighten the pan down and see what it really is. It is too hard to get real measurements with the pan being warped and the gasket not compressed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What kind of pan is it like brand
I have a SBC 383 which I am putting back together after the previous owner blew it up. In double checking fitments of all parts, I found that the oil pump pickup height is totally incorrect to match the pan, and I'm stumped as to why.

Oil pump is a Melling 55HV with the small mesh box pickup.

Oil pan measures 8.25" deep from the mounting flange.

The distance from the oil pan deck on the block to the pickup face is 8.125 on one side and 8.3125 on the other (its bent a bit).

I ordered a new pickup from Summit specifically for the 8.25" pan and it looks EXACTLY the same as what I currently have. So achieving the proper gap is not looking good. I measured with the gasket in place as well and it just isnt enough to get to a 5/16-3/8 gap from pan to pickup.

Does anyone have an idea as to where this stackup is going wrong?

My solution is to order a pickup for an 8 inch pan, but Id like to know why this whole setup isnt quite right.

Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
HV pump is taller. This will reduce the clearance. Is the pickup designated for a HV pump?
What he said. I've run into this a few times. The pickup has to be for a HV pump. I always buy the Moroso that bolts to the bolts on the oil pump. Several years ago I also bought a oil pump screen tool. Makes things a lot easier when the tool will fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Put the pan on with the gasket using clay strips across the pickup and tighten the pan down and see what it really is. It is too hard to get real measurements with the pan being warped and the gasket not compressed.
Have not heard of this, will give it a shot.

What kind of pan is it like brand
It is an extended capacity, looks like a moroso or summit but there are no markings on it.

What he said. I've run into this a few times. The pickup has to be for a HV pump. I always by the Moroso that bolts to the bolts on the oil pump. Several years ago I also bought a oil pump screen tool. Makes things a lot easier when the tool will fit.
Yes, the pickup is for an HV pump and has the 2 bolts to hold it in place. Other people report this pickup sitting at 8" from the oil pan deck but that is not what Im finding. I have not actually opened the one I bought from Summit since it looks the same as what I have. I was planning to return it and find something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
easy way

You can use aluminum foil wadded up into a loose ball placed upon the pickup. Then sit the pan on- no need to bolt down but use gasket. The foil will compress to the pickup height. Adjust accordingly. 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts