Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know which fuel pump anyone is running on a 1st Gen ChevyII with a stock front clip and shock towers. I have an Edelbrock, but it's too big, and I can't clock the inlet and outlet in the right positions. I have a stock Carter on it now and the in and out are above each other. Also, I want to run alcohol through it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Dave

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Here is the answer to your issue:

Billet Piston Fuel Pumps For Carburetors
Reciprocating piston uses only 35 lbs. of pushrod force to create 50 PSI.The Edlelbrock conventional diaphragm high-performance pump requires 125 lbs of force to creat just 15 PSI!
Absolutely no drop in fuel pressure throughout entire RPM range.

Gasoline, Methanol, E85

Circle Track, Drag Racing, Marine, Off Road and Street
Ideal for blow-through turbo supercharger systems with our new RacePump boost reference Regulator

Patented variable displacement design accommodates 200-2500hp! RacePump only flows as much fuel as the engine requires.
No diaphragm, valves, rocker arm, block plate or gaskets

RacePump should last for years, but it can be damaged by junk in the fuel line. It is rebuildable with a $10.00 kit.

Smaller size means increased chassis clearance.

Hardcoated 6061-T6 billet aluminum with stainless steel internal parts.

Comes with a -8 outlet and -8 and -10 AN fittings. Fitting positioning makes it easier to route fuel lines away from the exhaust

Weighs only 1.1 lbs. (Edelbrock weighs 3.6 lbs) United States Patent Number 7,318,416

Here is the manufactures website: http://www.racepumps.com/fuelpumps.html

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
The edelbrock works with the bottom feed plate option. I used it on my stock front end 64. I remember using the bottom feed for inlet and side feed for outlet.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Glenn, do you run one? What part number regulator do you run, and is your pump a #1500?
1ARUNEM, do you run a regulator with yours? I have that style in a Carter for the street. But it's their race pump with the regulator set at 7lbs. CV products has one that is billet and looks the same, but is pricey.
And Ryan. I have the Edelbrock 1711, as a matter of fact, I have two. Never thought of doing the intake through the bottom and the out, out the front. That would work. I plan on running alcohol too, and on my instructions, it says gas and alcohol. On the new ones, says gas only. They're both older, but new.
I really appreciate the info. Putting a 355 Dart head engine in over the wither and want to do it right the first time. Dave

·
Registered
590 Posts
The pump I posted does not require a regulator and I do not run one. I have a mechanical gauge and it usually runs about 7psi.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Dave,
I assume that your building a Drag Race engine, correct?

Have you ran Alcohol before?
Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Glenn. I've raced before. Since 1968 to be exact. I've run alky since 1987 on our dragsters. Both injected and carbed. My 65 is legal to 10.00 and this is the first time I've run into a problem with the fuel system in a door car. I would much rather run a Enderle belt drive pump, but don't have the room. The engine is a 12-1 355 with Dart Iron heads with a 200 runner. Solid cam and an AirGap manifold. PG with a brake and a 9" with 4.56 gear. Cal Tracs etc. I don't want to do this fuel thing too many times. Just once. That's why so many questions. I've looked at the RacePumps and kinda like them. That's why I was asking you about it. Dave

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I run the Holley P/N 12-327-11 on my 1965 Chevy II. I have stock front end.

Car runs 7.1x's in the 1/8th on 92 octane.

I will say, they appear much cheaper made than they used to be, however, I have had no issues.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-327-11/10002/-1

P.S. 110 gph advertised and no regulator necessary..
I run this one on my 3rd gen, but I need more clocking so I plan on changing to an Edelbrock. Edelbrock has more holes for more clocking.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I'm running the Edelbrock in mine. I had to clock it a little, but it worked fine with a couple of fittings. Let me know if you want to see pix...

One problem I ran into, the threads in the pump body were horrible on the first one I got. I sent it back for another one after I siezed a fitting in it doing a finger-tight mockup. Check those threads, and use anti-sieze always.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181137&page=12

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear what you're saying Tony. The 1st design Edelbrock 1711 says right in the instructions that it's compatible with alky. But the newer ones don't. I'm thinking that it's just the diaphram and plan on calling Edelbrock tomorrow. I'm also looking at a race pump. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Dave,
I personally have not used their pump, as all of my past Drag Cars were NHRA Stocker's and SuperStocker's, and I used a entirely different design of fuel system due to the Q-Jet carbs used per class rules.

Now, that being stated, I worked for Federal Mogul/TRW for over 30 years in the racing side of the business, and part of the product family is Carter carbs and fuel pumps. I could write a book, but I'm going to, just cut to the facts.
The diaphram style pumps "normally" will fail, and internally corrode, unless they are drained of the alcohol following the days racing and flushed with gasoline.

When space is a issue, not allowing the use of a belt driven alcohol pump, the "RacePump" is excellant, and you must use their regulator for your application. I knew of numerous teams country wide that use their system and were 100% satisfied with the performance and reliability. I highly recommend that if this design appears to possibly fit your specific application, that you just pick up the phone and give them a call, walk through your combination and let them tell you if they can meet your needs.

As I, and most likely you know, the manufacture is where we should turn to for acurate data, application specific guidance, and proper setup.

I hope I was of some help or insight.
Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Glenn. You were a great help. I set my 65 up as much as I could to resemble a Stock Elim car. CalTracs, 9", Frontend might not be, but I like the look of a 9" tire car. That being said, I appreciate your input and am probably going to call RacePumps and get their input too. My main concern was the fitment. I've run alky for so long, everything I have is for it. I wish my Enderle would fir the stock frontend and we wouldn'r be having this conversation. But I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know what I did. And you're correct. The manufacturer should have a good idea what your needs are. Thanks again for your help. Dave Perrotti.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Dave,
If you moved the radiator forward 2", would you have enough room?

That's what I did on my Wagon to get the 5.3 in with the factory truck clutch fan.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm missing something here. I don't have a 5.3 for my car. And how would I move the rad forward? dave

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Your not missing anything, just wondering if you could use the belt driven style pump if your having issues with clearance of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it now. No, the way that the lower hose is would be in the way with the low mount, and with the high mount it will hit the shock tower. That would be with an Enderle pump. by the way, I just got a RacePump off eBay. Not i need to get the regulator. Thanks for your help. It's just a neat little system. Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts