Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what r u guys using that u can get a torque wrench on to properly torque and how the hell r u doing it..
when we built this motor like 15 yrs ago we used a mishmash of mixed bolts..like one or two Allen heads...
Now id like to have a matching set at least...
It's a weiand action plus intake.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can't really get a torque wrench on the middle 4 bolts and it's difficult to get one on many of the rest of them if the engine is in the car.

What you should do is use a standard length combination wrench on them. Tightening the bolts with that wrench, firmly but not overtightening, will get you the torque you need.

Follow the published torque sequence. I tighten the 4 end bolts snug, then the rest snug, before starting that sequence.

If you are not a monster at tightening bolts, this will work for you. (Some guys overtighten everything, don't do that!)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've been using ARP fasteners for a very long time and I've never had a problem. For intakes I use their 12 point stainless fasteners. Buy one set and they will probably be the last set you have to buy.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I use a good quality bolt like the arp 12 point bolts. Put a little Teflon thread sealer on the threads and tighten the bolts from the center working your way to the outside bolts last.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I use a good quality bolt like the arp 12 point bolts. Put a little Teflon thread sealer on the threads and tighten the bolts from the center working your way to the outside bolts last.
This is how I do it as well. Check your bolt length. This is critical. #1 you don't want to hit the pushrods with the bolts. #2 they have to be long enough to not pull the threads out of the head. I have had bolts that caught only a few threads and then stripped. But if you don't seal them, you will find oil laying in the intake especially around the middle 4 bolts.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Over the years I have used standard hex head cap screws, socket head cap screws and 6 and 12 point washer head bolts, never once did I use a torque wrench, just a standard length box end wrench. Just start in the center, and work out, alternating sides, making three passes increasing the torque each time, the last pass being probably 30 ft lbs. Never once had an intake leak.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I just did this.I also use standard hex head bolts.I did manage to get the torque wrench on the 4 middle bolts with a swivel and an extension.But I also gave them a little extra turn with a wrench as the swivel and socket wanted to slip off the 4 middle bolts. I torqued them at 10,20 and 30 ft lbs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alf..do use lockwashers with them ? No one's mentioned them but most sets looks like they r included

·
Registered
113 Posts
Alf..do use lockwashers with them ? No one's mentioned them but most sets looks like they r included
Don’t use lock washers on an aluminum intake unless you use a flat steel washer between the lock washer and the aluminum intake, the lock washer will mess up the aluminum, it’s best to use a washer head bolt on aluminum intakes. Also I have never used a torque wrench on an intake just tighten in the proper sequence/order and in three steps of tightness. The other option I have done it finger tighten each bolt then in sequence tight each bolt 1/2 turn until tight

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
I torque the outside ones with a inch pound torque wrench then "feel" how tight those are by gently tugging on them and duplicate that tightness on the inside 4. Close as I can get. Make sure you seal the inside 4 or else you will get oil sucked up the threads

1 - 13 of 13 Posts