Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am assembling a 350 and I'm a little surprised that I can't install the intake bolts.
Block was decked but I don't know how much. The flat top pistons (sealed power 345P) are 0.015" below the deck, so it can't be that much. I'm using a 0.027" thick head gasket.
If I remove the intake gaskets I can install the bolts, but with the gaskets installed, they won't go, but it's close. According to what I've read, if 0.015" is removed from the deck, then 1.2 x 0.015 = 0.018" should be removed from intake/head mating surface and also 1.71 x 0.015 = 0.02565" should be remove from the block mating surface.
Here's a few pics. I removed the rubber end gaskets and there is still 1/8" gap between the intake and block.
Holley Systemax heads and Edelbrock Performer RPM intake Fel Pro 90314-1 gskts.
I stood on the intake and the holes still won't line up.
To me it looks like I have such a big gap at the block/intake surface that I shouldn't remove anything there, which seems odd to me. I also am not sure how much to remove from the intake. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
913 Posts
ARe the head gaskets on in that picture? A picture looking down at the holes would be helpful. And no the gap at the intake to block is not large.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I've had to enlarge the bottom of the intake holes in two different EFI intakes I installed. The block was ZERO decked and had a .038 squish on the head gaskets. You could access your problem better with the head gaskets installed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the intake gaskets I'm using are 0.120" thick. The Edelbrock 7201 gaskets designed for the Performer RPM intakes are 0.060" thick. I'm going to get a set and try them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The .120" thick gaskets are for oddball combinations of milled heads/intakes. Try the .060" ones, I think they will work for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts