Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I posted this in the wrong area so I'm reposting here)

Id like to upgrade my old small block a little and get some more power out of it. My knowledge is limited in this area so any help is appreciated. This is a street car that could occasionally see the track but is really 99% street. I was thinking of just doing heads and possibly a cam, and I believe I would need a new carb as well. My questions are:

What do I need to look for in a new set of heads? (aluminum would be good)
How to match a cam for this new set up
Will I need a new intake?

Current engine: 350 '73 block stroked (388)
This list of parts is from the engine builder and I'm not sure what is needed to answer my questions but I'll put it all here.
keith black 060 domed pistons
010 rod bearings
010 HP race main bearing set
Manley 6" H Bean rod
comp cams XE274H 230/236 .490 .490 110
2.02/1.60 stainless valves
edelbrock 750 performer rpm air gap intake

The current heads are iron World Sportsman IIs I believe. They were with the block when I got it. They'e got to be around 20 years old.

This engine made 412HP when dynoed if I recall but Ive since lost the dyno sheet. This was done with a different intake, carb and headers. Id like to be at 500HP if its possible to keep this engine fairly reliable at that level, and on pump gas.

ANY help is appreciated!
-Sam

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess the biggest question is, what's your budget? That pretty much defines what you do do from there.

A really, really good set of CNC or hand ported aluminum heads would be the ticket, but $$$ is always a limiting factor.

Have you thought about getting your current heads gone through & ported instead of absorbing the cost of new hardware? The Sportsman 2's leave a lot of room on the table for growth in stock form, especially the exhaust side.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The big question is which World heads do you have? the sportsman II heads SHOULD be a 200 cc head, but with what size chamber? I think the biggest issue in your combination is the cam. Now with that being said, what is your drivetrain like as far as transmission, converter(if it has one) and gears? The reason I ask is that the World heads were not that bad for what they were. So to just go and swap heads may not be as big a bang for your buck over just saving 50 lbs of weight on the front of the car. But a good hydraulic roller cam may wake that engine up immensely.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are 200cc and 64cc chamber. They have been milled and ported as they were in rough shape when I got them.

Id like to not spend more than 2000 on heads. I looked at the AFR 195s and also a 210 "race" head but I really don't know enough to make the right choice.

Transmission is a TH350 with a stall that is too low. I will very likely get a new converter too. I think the one I have, if I remember correctly, is 2200 stall.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
They are 200cc and 64cc chamber. They have been milled and ported as they were in rough shape when I got them.

Id like to not spend more than 2000 on heads. I looked at the AFR 195s and also a 210 "race" head but I really don't know enough to make the right choice.

Transmission is a TH350 with a stall that is too low. I will very likely get a new converter too. I think the one I have, if I remember correctly, is 2200 stall.
I put the AFR195 angle plugs on my buddies, but on my 383 solid roller I put the 210 angle plugs. Went bigger on mine as I run it a little harder and higher rpms. Either one don't have a problem going 7000 rpms though. Put a 750 Quickfuel carb on his and an 850 Quickfuel carb on mine.

I'm only gonna put the AFR 195 angle plug heads on my 400 build as it's just for a truck and will only see 6500 rpms.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,591 Posts
They are 200cc and 64cc chamber.
You also mentioned that you were installing Keith Black 060 domed pistons.
You did not mention the dome volume of the piston, but if you install a head with a 64cc chamber + a domed piston... your compression may be too high to run on pump gas (especially with an iron head).

I also run the AFR 195 aluminum heads on my SBC 400. They are excellent heads and I have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What are you going to do with the car? Dedicated drag car? Street/strip? Occasionally go to the track 1-2 times a year? Just a quick cruiser?

What fuel do you want to run?
Race gas?
E-85?
Pump gas?

Answering these questions will help find the best combination.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey, wait a minute... I know you from around town! You've got the green Nova that I always see at TLSS.

Hello from a fellow Rochester resident. :)

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
This list of parts is from the engine builder and I'm not sure what is needed to answer my questions but I'll put it all here.
keith black 060 domed pistons
010 rod bearings
010 HP race main bearing set
Manley 6" H Bean rod
comp cams XE274H 230/236 .490 .490 110
2.02/1.60 stainless valves
edelbrock 750 performer rpm air gap intake

The current heads are iron World Sportsman IIs I believe. They were with the block when I got it. They'e got to be around 20 years old.
A couple of questions come to mind...
Does KB make a domed piston for a 6" rod in a 383? The compression ratios for these pistons begins at 10.8:1 for for the 5.7 version and goes up.
What is the chamber volume for your SPII's?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hello from a fellow Rochester resident
Hello! What are you driving?

To answer a few questions:

Car is pump gas and I want it stay that way. 3.73 gears. I didn't build the engine I only have a parts list of what's in it. My goal was to just pull some more power out of it if its possible to do so while keeping it fairly reliable. It's not a daily driver and it never will be. If I can do that with just a cam and keep these heads, I'm fine with that. I want to build an LSX for it but it is not in the budget right now.

EDIT: I was just going over the paperwork again. The engine had (KB123-060) 3.3cc pistons. This is 12.4:1 with 64cc heads. HOWEVER, these were replaced in a re-build and the new pistons are not listed so I'm not certain if the same ones were used or not. So that isn't too helpful.

EDIT II: new pistons are KB164 060 -19cc...9.6:1 with a 64cc head.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If money isn't a big issue I'd go with a aluminum head. The AFR 195's would make a great head. There is a guy on here that works for ATK and they have a head made by Profiler that is a good head for less money. I have this 195cc head on my car now and they perform very good. If switching heads it only makes sense to go ahead and go with a hydraulic roller camshaft. There are plenty of varibles when choosing the camshaft but I'd keep the lobe seperation fairly tight, say 110 and I wouldn't go crazy with duration. If a little more lift is needed you can always go with a 1.6 rocker. I'd also buy roller rockers. I wouldn't get too caught up in wanting a 500 hp street engine but very good power can be made with a aluminum headed 388 with a hydraulic roller. I'd do a good 750 carburetor and call it a day. Add the right converter/gear combination and it should be plenty quick and totally streetable. The right head/camshaft/rocker combination should be able to come in around the two grand mark if you don't have to pay labor to have it installed.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I put the AFR195 angle plugs on my buddies, but on my 383 solid roller I put the 210 angle plugs. Went bigger on mine as I run it a little harder and higher rpms. Either one don't have a problem going 7000 rpms though. Put a 750 Quickfuel carb on his and an 850 Quickfuel carb on mine.

I'm only gonna put the AFR 195 angle plug heads on my 400 build as it's just for a truck and will only see 6500 rpms.
Yeah, my truck engine 406 in my nova ran pretty good with the lil AFR 195's! :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't set on buying heads. If they're worth keeping, I'll just do that. Can I step up the cam without too much trouble? I'm not hell bent on spending money here, I just thought I may be able to wake up the engine a little more.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Seems like you're heads are decent so keep them . Change out to a roller cam and I think you will see a improvement in power and a roller cam allows you to have a higher duration with a smoother idle .
The other thing is check you're quench , if you're block is not zero deck and the builder used a .39'thou head gasket you're quench will be around 60 with a steel .15 thou shim head gasket you could be a 45 quench plus a few points more in compression

·
Registered
109 Posts
I read your post thoroughly and liked your combo. I have nearly the same one. 385 cu inch, world products sportsman 2 heads port matched to a fel pro 1205 intake gasket, kb 10.25 pistons, 5.7 eagle rods, but i am running a comp xr276hr cam pn 12-423-8, performer rpm ag manifold and 1 5/8 summit headers. This motor is in my 70 camaro with 3.73 gears and summit 17-2100 stall. I say all of this because it runs soo good. I am really happy with the power and torque curve of the motor for what it is. If it was my money I would pull those heads and send them to a "good known" head porter and maybe a cam swap. I would not hesitate to buy another set of sportsman heads again. I bet you could get the gains you are looking for with the suggestions above while saving some money over a new set of afr's. Nothing against afr heads, we all know they are great heads. jmo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts