Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, Ive got a 70 nova that i am (building on a budget) with a 350 and Im trying to figure the best exaust set up. This car is going to be my daily driver, so im going for mild street rod so it dost cost too much to drive.

I was looking at a 3" X-pipe kit form summit that isn't very expensive (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-XVF13/) I like how the exaust dumps right before the back tire already, and dont know if i should keep the glass packs it came with sense they fit perfectly beside the drive shaft, or try to find a Magnaflow or FLowmaster dual exaust set up that will fit aLong with what diameter pipe would give me the best results

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

Also I currently have full length headers on the car, but have a free set new ones that are shorter. I think bother are 3" collectors and am considering the 2.5 exhaust with an H pipe for easy transmission access like Veno mentioned.

My Engine stats are: Stock rebuilt block with double roller timing chain

Heads:
75 stock rebuilt cast iron heads with 357 lbs./in. springs 0.490 in. maximum lift.

Cam: lunati 10001LK
# Advertised Duration (Intake/Exhaust) 280/290
# Duration @.050" (Intake/Exhaust) 214/224
# Gross Valve Lift (Intake/Exhaust) .443"/.465"
# Lobe Seperation 112
# Intake Center Line 107
# RPM Range 1500-5500

Intake:
Edlebrock Performer RPM
1500-6500 RPM Range

Carberator:
Edelbrock 1406
600 CFM

Fuel Pump:
Stock Mechanical (at the moment)

Current Exhaust:
Full length Headers with 3" collectors
2"Glass pack Mufflers
Dual Exhaust angled at the back tires

·
Registered
535 Posts
your advertised duration is WAY off.

try 260/268

not 280/290

dual 3 inch is excessive. 2 1/2 would be fine. I have flowmasters and it dumps right after the rear tire, no x or h pipe, true duals. here is a video of how it sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5twcq4Wu8A

the x pipe will tone down the idle noise and make it more "exotic" car sound, if thats a way to describe it. its not a bad sound, I just prefer the sound of true duals.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
either one will do... but install one or the other....

In preference.. I like the H for ease of access to the transmission, for the total performance package the X is a proven commodity.

Side note.. if ya want ruble and noise install the 3" or the 2.5

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hmmm, I like rumble, but dont like cabin noise, Is there way to achieve that? Im thinking x pipe with chambered mufflers toward the back, then turned out before the tires, but will rethink is that is going to make too much noise inside

·
Registered
535 Posts
hmmm, I like rumble, but dont like cabin noise, Is there way to achieve that? Im thinking x pipe with chambered mufflers toward the back, then dumped before the tires, but will rethink is that is going to make too much noise inside
with my setup, it isnt too loud inside the car, but its moderatly loud outside.

I would like to switch to angle exits before the tires w/ bullets when i have a chance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have long tubes 3in collector, reduced down to 2.5in, H-piped, back to the 40 series flowmasters then 3in welded on the exits of the flowmasters and dumped in the stock-ish location..

Sounds awesome on 327

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not yet, car has been in the shop having a 700r4 installed, have changed my mind to a pair of magnaflows with a 2.5 core, will post pics when it is done

·
Registered
421 Posts
check out torque tech performance exhaust.

this is the kit i used on my 70 sbc. 3" into x-pipe and 2 1/2" out. perfect fit. weld or clamp together. i welded mine.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Make sure you listen to some cars with the X pipe before going that direction. They sound VERY different than the typical dual system. Personally, I don't like the sound.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts