Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one tell me???for sale locally #10088113 sbc heads,,,which i beleive are zz4? heads? for 600.00. are these heads decent? are they worth that kinda asking price?what kinda performance can one expect? i have a 357(040)sbc stock crank,rods.hyd,cam less than 510lift.thanks,,any comments?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Here's how GM describes them:
Corvette Aluminum Cylinder Head Assembly
This aluminum cylinder head assembly for small-block Chevrolet V8s is ideal for street rods, fresh-water power boats, and high-performance applications. GM Performance Parts' aluminum cylinder head assembly combines the benefits of light weight, advanced design, and an affordable price. This complete head assembly includes valves, chrome silicon heavy-duty valve springs, retainers, 3/8" screw-in rocker studs-everything an enthusiast wants in a high-performance cylinder head package! GM Performance Parts aluminum cylinder head assemblies are based on brand new Corvette light alloy castings (P/N 10088113). The Corvette cylinder head's advanced design features include D-shaped exhaust ports that enhance the flow of burned gases, high-velocity intake runners that provide crisp throttle response, and centrally located spark plugs that improve combustion efficiency. Valve seat inserts for 1.94" diameter intake valves and 1.50" exhausts are installed in the 58cc combustion chambers. Raised rocker cover rails with machined sealing surfaces virtually eliminate rocker cover gasket oil leaks. This high-performance cylinder head assembly is used exclusively on High Output 5.7-liter small-block V8 engines. Unlike production Corvette cylinder heads, it is outfitted with special heavy-duty valve springs (see part number 12551483 for technical specifications). A pair of aluminum cylinder heads offers a weight savings of approximately 50 pounds over comparable cast iron cylinder heads. (A bare aluminum casting, less valves and springs, weighs 19 pounds, versus 44 pounds for a bare cast iron head). This reduction in total engine weight of 25 pounds each can improve handling, acceleration, and fuel economy.

Part Number...Description
12555269.........Stamped steel rocker cover
10229162.........Corvette screw-in oil filter cap
12342056.........Chrome screw-in oil cap w/GM logo
12338092.........Valve cover hold-down bolts (8 required)
14094717.........Hold-down bolt washers (8 required)
14088793.........Hold-down bolt gaskets (8 required)
14088564.........Neoprene rocker cover gasket
12557236.........Composition head gasket, .051" thick
12495499.........Head Bolt Kit
12495490.........Rocker Arm Kit
Technical Notes: Technical Notes: This casting does not have intake manifold heat riser or EGR passages. The exhaust port exits are approximately .100" higher than production cast iron heads; exhaust manifolds and aftermarket headers may require modification to maximize airflow. The spark plug holes are angled; check for adequate exhaust manifold or header clearance. Use 3/4" reach gasketed spark plugs with 5/8" hex heads (AC FR5LS), 904, or MR 43LTS. In rapid fire use #8 plug. Both ends of the head are machined for alternator, power steering, and air conditioning compressor mounts. No pushrod guideplates; use rail type rocker arms P/N 10089648. This aluminum head assembly requires valve covers with central hold-down bolts and extra-long bolts with washers. A composition head gasket with stainless steel fire rings is recommended to prevent galvanic action between the head and a cast iron engine block. This head assembly is the same as P/N 10185087, except valve spring and retainer change.
I couldn't find much info on combos using this head maybe someone else can help.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well they will work good,But do not leave much room if you plan to do other mods to the engine.Depending on your pistons you may have some high compression and detonation caused from it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys! I do have new cyclone 1 5/8inch #86001 ceramic coat headers,i dont know if these would work on the heads or not? also i think my compression would be under 10-1 because my pistons are dished f/m hyper.but i may keep looking,thanks again.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I like my sportsman 2 heads from world products, Not the best heads but very well made and assembled with 1.6 and 2.02 valves w/ screw in studs and guide plates.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a set of those heads on my nova on a flat top 355, and a mild solid lifter cam. I ported them myself (my first shot at porting), and on a perfect day at the track, my car ran 11 teens. On an average day, it ran 11.40s. As far as a header goes, I just ran the 1 3/4 fenderwells with no issues at all.
But, I agree some AFR's, like a set of 190's, would out perform those heads any day.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ive heard that Sportsman Heads where the best bang for the buck. Ive also heard that the Tric flow Kenny Dutwiler heads where supose to be the best flowing out of the box. Im not shure about that. After all, AFR has a prety good reputation.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ive heard that Sportsman Heads where the best bang for the buck. Ive also heard that the Tric flow Kenny Dutwiler heads where supose to be the best flowing out of the box. Im not shure about that. After all, AFR has a prety good reputation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well my problem is,i have a 357(040)350 motor that i want for a mild eng,and a 72 400 that someday i want to build up. so ill have to get two sets of heads,mild set for 357 and something more aggessive for the 400.thats why i was looking to go fairly cheap with the 357,but i dont want junk 76cc smogger ones for the 357.i could bite the bullet and buy some dart iron eagle 180s for the 357.i can get them new for 650+shipping new.

·
Registered
169 Posts
heads

I would suggest at least a 200 cc head for the 357. I ran a 357 with motown 220's with 2.08 int. 1.60 exh. 64 cc with 11 to 1 pistons with a victor jr. and a solid comp cams 540/534 255/266 @0.050 dur on a 106 and I drove it everywhere with a weight of 3150 and it ran 11.70's to 11.90's. Never got hot and ran good. I drove this all over the place.

roberto white said:
well my problem is,i have a 357(040)350 motor that i want for a mild eng,and a 72 400 that someday i want to build up. so ill have to get two sets of heads,mild set for 357 and something more aggessive for the 400.thats why i was looking to go fairly cheap with the 357,but i dont want junk 76cc smogger ones for the 357.i could bite the bullet and buy some dart iron eagle 180s for the 357.i can get them new for 650+shipping new.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to run about 10-1 (or a little less)compression,hyd.cam,(under 510lift)eldelbrock 2101 duelplane intake,edelbrock600cfm carb.and 1-5/8in headers. I already have intake,carb,[email protected] short block(bored) all i need now is some heads.now the 400 that will be a whole new monster!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have the sportsman 2's on my 400 and it ran a 12.90 with a pathetic 2.2something 60 foot, I have the comp cams magnum 270 cam and 1.6 roller rockers.This thing runs better than i thought it would.It is a fun street car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1975ssnova sell me your heads!ha,ha.thats a respectible time,once you get your 60foot down youll do quite a bit better (et-wise) I own a 76 nova 2door.its a hatchback but i dont care.its a western car.I want to drop my 357 down for now and later build my 400.got any pictures of your car? talk to ya later.

·
Registered
857 Posts
HEY ROBERTO , Look at the bottom of my post there is a link to my cardomain where you can see my nova.And it is in my avatar at the top left of this post.(Get your own heads!!!:D ) They are cheap for what you get and will support alot of HP.Mine are the lighter valve springs and have the 200cc ports and are all i can ask for for the $$$.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have the 400 sbc with the gm pp fastburn alum heads. had to drill them for steam holes. i will have 1/4 mile times sunday. national trails opens april 2.
as far as performance, i evaporate tires. it has the 5.7 powder rods,and dual plane edeblock rpm. cant wait!!!!
comp ratio is around 11.5-12.00-1. cam is a comp w/501 lift.
i'll let ya know times.
eric

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep us posted, ive thought about those heads at one time or another.now looking at whatever i can get for budget for my 357.good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts