Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I am still working on building the 350 sbc motor for my wagon but for now I am going to put a 200-4r tranny into it with the current 327 and run the car with that motor for now even though it has too big of a cam for the street. I figured before completely tearing the car apart for the sand blasters I will get the new tranny in there to figure out my highway gearing, put this new dropped spindle and disc brake kit on along with the power booster, brake lines and suspension. I want to work out the bugs on all of this and on the side build the 350. Anyways, for now I will run this 327 which supposedly has very low miles and use it for the testing (only for a month or less). I need to get a new carb for it that will be used on the 350 and was thinking about going with a 600cfm manual choke Holley 4160 street performance carb. I have driven a few cars with these on them and put them on customers vehicles with great success but never had them on my personal ones and able to try them out for more than a few months. What do you guys think about this? Remember the 350 that will be going into the car will be a street performance motor since the car is going to be my daily driver so no double pumpers or such here. I have Edelbrock performer carbs on a few of my vehicles and I do not like them. They have a low end stumble that I can never seem to rid of (not very bad) and I just dont care for them. There is another issue with them that I will not go into but it has to do with their design.
Also for my second question, how about a air/fuel ratio monitor or gauge? Does anyone use one of these to watch in the cab while driving how the fuel is being burnt? I only know the basics as far as tuning a carburator and thought that this may help to make sure it's burning correctly.
Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I like the Street Avenger series of Holley's; maybe the 670 for yours?
Innovate, Holley, and others make air/fuel devices that will work.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think there is either a 600 or 700 with the 4160 Street Performance. The Street Avenger might have the 650 but I never really looked into them. I've heard a few people say that the Street Avenger is not too great and just to stick to the plain older type Holley 4160 street carb. I was even thinking about a Q-jet because the small primaries around town and huge secondaries when I smash on that throttle to show some ricers that this little wagon means business. :) Now other hot rods I may not try that since they will probably blow me away but that's ok. Everyone I know locally doesn't like my wagon anyways, they all say it's a grandma car but I am not trying to impress them.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The Street Avenger might have the 650 but I never really looked into them. I've heard a few people say that the Street Avenger is not too great
Street Avengers come in 570, 670, 770, and 870 versions. Ask Dale about the 770 on his 66 that was a near 11 sec. car with 3.08 gears and tiny tires.
One touch of the key, drive it anywhere, haul a**, what more do you expect from a carb?
A Q-Jet will get better mileage and make great power, but some inexperienced people are leery of them. I picked up 4 mpg, and shaved a few tenths off my e.t. going from a Holley 600 to a Q-Jet on a 350.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I may go with a Q-Jet. They are a bit more expensive than the Holley Street Performer 600cfm brand new off Summit but I dont know, I've ran them before and they are nice at bottom end and nice pickup on top end. Like you said, a lot of people hate them because they do not know how to tune stock ones but I am thinking about getting one that is already setup and put it on, do some basic tuning and get a book and read up on them and how to get them to perform nice. If they will give me an extra 2 MPG or more compaired to another type then that is worth it to me because 2 extra here and 2 or so extra with an overdrive tranny will add up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts