Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard somewhere that some SBC aluminum heads are physically bigger, & fit differently than iron heads & this can cause fitting problems with a stock front end in a Gen. 1 or 2 car. I know raised runners, relocted spark plugs, etc. can create issues but does anyone have experince with aluminum heads that either fit great or were a problem?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I helped my brother switch from stock iron heads to Brodix IK200 heads with stock exhaust port location on his 64. His super comps fit perfect with the stock heads but the passenger side had to have a couple tubes dented slightly to fit with the aluminum heads. Not a big deal but I would estimate the head was .100-.125 wider at the exhaust port.

·
Registered
89 Posts
alum. heads

Are you thinking about GM aluminum heads? The second gen LT-1 Alum. heads are a 1 off design. don't work on a first gen sbc. reverse cooling ,I believe. As far as the other stuff 15 degree vs. 23 degree raised runner SBC2 Spread ports most of that stuff works on Gen 1 blocks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm thinking about aftermarket, 180cc-195cc runner. I've been looking at Jeg's/Pro-Filer, Brodix IK 180, Summit/ Trick Flow 175's etc. The engine is a 350 1 piece rear seal with LT-4 Hot Cam, 200-4r tranny/2200 +/-stall, & 3.70 limited slip rear gears. Weekend cruiser. The install is a couple of months away.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
AFR say's exhaust port raised 3/32". That is how much your headers will be up higher give or take. Most cases this will not bother you. Other wise externally most standard performance heads are dimensionally close to stock as far as bolt holes and outside dimension of head.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Raised exhaust ports can create fitment issues with headers,Same thing if the heads are angle milled.Valve cover rails can be higher on new style aluminum heads.So manny different spark plug angles/locations available for modern heads header fitment can be a problem.That said I have had Dart Sportsman II heads with 2122 Super Comps with no issues and AFR 210 heads with 2243 Super Comps.The 2243/AFR combo had revised straight plug design and that put the plug VERY close to the center exhaust tubes.Ended up having to use wires with ceramic boots to stop from burning boots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I run the Air Flow 210 angle plug in my 1st gen and they fit great. I do have the TCI front end, but they fit just as my iron heads do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts