Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
YouTube will probably help you the most. Best of all its free. I built my first SBC when I was 14. Pretty easy with right tools and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Generaly speaking its not too difficult assuming you have a decent amount of tools, some specialty, and you are mechanicaly inclined.

My best suggestion if this is your first time is get your hands on some books and find yourself a good respectable machine shop in your area and plan your rebuild with them.

I have owned this exact same book since I was 16 years old. I bought it while rebuilding a 350 Chevy in my autoshop class in high school in the 10th grade. I turn 51 years old this month:eek: Sure there is a lot of new information out there, but that book sure does cover the basics pretty well. I am sure they sold many latter editions that cover some later engines.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Im in the same boat with a cheap craigslist motor. Wondering if its worth a rebuild. Only a 2 bolt, and a spun bearing. $50 so I couldnt pass it up. Is it trash?

By the way, SA publishes a bunch of motor books, and good simple but thorough how to books, and you might want to check out Small Block Chevy Performance 1955-1996 (SA110) by John Baechtel, and Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget (SA57) by David Vizard. They provide a good look at a variety of options, lots of part numbers, specs, and suggested building combos. Around $20/ea.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just got a complete eagle balanced rotating assembly from jegs for only $550. Not too bad, new cast crank, ibeam rods with ARP bolts, speedpro pistons and all the rings and bearings you need. I checked the bearing and ring clearances as I went to be sure but nothing needed adjusting, pretty much a bolt together kit. My machinist charged $380 to clean, bore and install new cam bearings in my block plus another $200 to recondition a set of heads so all in all I had a little over a grand in a fresh new long block. Well worth it. Should handle at least 400 ponies. Your machinist will need your pistons before he can do the block so get the kit first.

Oh and like another mentioned those small chevy engine building books are great, Ive got 2 by David Vizard and they are full of tricks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts