Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 66 wagon at the swap meet a while back. It was hurt but worth saving. The pics are of the car at the Unibody shop. The top of the firewall was in about 5/16" so the door and fender alignment were off. The rocker at the rear pass side was in about an inch or so and the rear door gap was zero. The driver tail light section was repaired by the local "Junk Yard" welder and couldn't be saved. I used a section of roof to make the rear section of the quarter. It still needs a little hammer and dolly work and I'll need to shrink a small area at the bottom. It looks a lot better now but still has a ways to go. More later.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
:clap: Good for you saving the Wagon!

What are you going to do with it?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Looks pretty darn good! Keep the biuld pics comimg. RICK

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
It sure beats what I'm driving now.

Hey!! A wagon is a wagon. The covered wagon is at least a dually. LOL Id drive that canvas covered wagon, I have NO shame :turn: JR

And with seating in the WAY front I know where the in-laws will sit...

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
LOOKIN' GOOD SO FAR, KEEP US UPDATED AND THE PICS COMIN' :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice way to save the wagon.

Anymore details on that bearing conversion for the spring perches?
I used 4 Koyo Torrington TR418899 needle roller bearings 1" OD 3/4 ID.
The shaft is 3/4 cold rolled. The original housing is bored out to 1"+ for a snug fit. A groove is cut in the shaft for a snap ring to retain the bearings. I used a machine washer on both ends to seal it. The washer has a 3/4" opening and the OD is about the same size as the original housing. (1 1/4"?) The bearing open end is inboard to allow grease into the bearings. I used electrical 1" OD heat shrink about 1/2" long to seal the ends. I put the same setup on my 66 coupe a few years ago and it is holding up OK.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used 4 Koyo Torrington TR418899 needle roller bearings 1" OD 3/4 ID.
The shaft is 3/4 cold rolled. The original housing is bored out to 1"+ for a snug fit. A groove is cut in the shaft for a snap ring to retain the bearings. I used a machine washer on both ends to seal it. The washer has a 3/4" opening and the OD is about the same size as the original housing. (1 1/4"?) The bearing open end is inboard to allow grease into the bearings. I used electrical 1" OD heat shrink about 1/2" long to seal the ends. I put the same setup on my 66 coupe a few years ago and it is holding up OK.

Man, that is awesome. Now you got me thinking of doing this. Any wear on the shafts from the bearings on your '66? I was thinking if the shaft was chromoly, that might take care of any wear issue, if you have them.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, that is awesome. Now you got me thinking of doing this. Any wear on the shafts from the bearings on your '66? I was thinking if the shaft was chromoly, that might take care of any wear issue, if you have them.
As long as the bearings don't run dry they should last a long time. I never thought of taking it apart to check. It would be an all day project. Cold rolled bar is pretty tough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts