Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I started a project this morning that I have been putting off for a year. I am replacing all of the chrome window surrounds on my '63's windows. Here is the problem/question. Window is removed, all chrome removed and was about to put the lower channel together. As you can see in the pictures my new part does not match the old one. It looks like possibly the old part just rusted off at some point and previous owners either just ignored it or didn't know what to do about it/ couldn't source the part. However, the possibility exist that I have the wrong part. I have not found any other pictures or part numbers that would lead me to believe that is the case though. When following the steps in my service manual for removing the window it did say to remove the upper stop bolt. I couldn't find it . Would that have been where it should have been? I'm kinda at a standstill until I figure this out and I know one of you has the answer I need. Thanks in advance.

Jet
IMG_1885 (1).JPG
IMG_1885 (1).JPG
IMG_1886 (1).JPG

·
Registered
66 Nova SS
3,528 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I would say you have the right part, the old one has just rusted off

·
Registered
418 Posts
They are rusted off. You can buy replac111ements. Believe they are called window channel. Theres a few places that sell them

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info guys. I have the new pieces and there were no parts in the bottom of the door. I think the last guy just couldn’t source the bottom channels and put it back together as is. I believe that it is only in the last few years that they have become readily available. I’ve gotten side tracked with a project at my daughter and son in laws but will get back at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the process of doing this same job on my 64 Hardtop. Got the door windows out and that frame is rusted so that it is bulging around where the glass fits in. When you roll the window all the way up it hits the new window weatherstrips. I hate buying reproduction parts but my original lower channel is to rusted to be saved. Anyone have any problems with these repo lower glass channels?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am in the process of doing this same job on my 64 Hardtop. Got the door windows out and that frame is rusted so that it is bulging around where the glass fits in. When you roll the window all the way up it hits the new window weatherstrips. I hate buying reproduction parts but my original lower channel is to rusted to be saved. Anyone have any problems with these repo lower glass channels?
Yes as some of them are not quite right and may need to be sent back for another one. From what I have heard 90 percent of them will be ok just alot of work for you but they need to be done. I helped do my friends 63 coupe but it was not easy and he broke one of the windows getting the dam rusted thing off. Just be careful. There is a step by step directions somewhere in this site but I cannot find it right now. You will be happy when you are done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts