Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my plan is to get up early tomarrow and bring some parts such as the tailgate, one fender, and the hood to a friends house and get the things sand blasted. I wont sand blast the entire thing, just the jambs and that front underside of the hood where the backside of the emblem is so I can fully get rid of any rust that may be hiding in there. I am hoping to be able to sand black the rusted out sections, make new patch panels, tack them in and possibly even fully weld them. I can only work from 9:00 am to 1:00pm so my time is very limited and I know I will most likely only get the sand blasting and part of the welding done. My plan is to eventually get all of the rust issues taken care of here in the next few weeks. Next week will be patching the drivers side front floor, the week after will be the passenger side. Then the fenders along with the hood and tailgate will be done by next week or the week after and in primer. After the floors, fenders, hood and tailgate are taken care of as far as sand blasted, patches and primed, then I will move onto the doors. I noticed today that the bottoms of the doors are pretty bad. Worse than I thought and the owner said it was original paint on the car but it is NOT.
Next hard part will be the passenger quarter at the bottom of this wagon where the spare tire is at... The whole inner wheel tub is bad where it connects to the quarter panel and the bottom lip to the spare tire tub is all messed up and rotted out with a peice of sheetmetal screwed and glued to the bottom lip of the quarter. Does any wagon owners here have ANY pics of this passenger bottom side of the quarter that I can use for reference?
Also if anyone has ANY parts or even full tailgates that they would sell it would be appreciated. I am going to TRY to fix the tailgate but the inside and outside bottom about 3 inches up is GONE.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well guys I am off to sandblast the front left fender, hood and tailgate and hopefully fix the patches of rust on the hood and get it in primer! :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright I've got mostly bad news (for myself)... First off, I got the hood blasted and it came out with only minor rust. Tomarrow I have to cut the front of the hood off and make an entire 2 inch strip (behind the emblem) and weld it in. I plan to do that, weld it in, grind it down and then hopefully get it in primer.
As for the fenders and tailgate... This is only part of my bad news. The tailgate is toast. It would take days to fix and still look like crap. The whole inside and bottom of it inside and out is ROTTED and pinholes all over the entire thing. The fenders, the front and bottoms are gone. I can spend days to fix these too but not worth it to me. I did body work full time (before doing detailing and painting) and for a customer I would try to fix this but it would be one of those things that I would tell him that he can buy aftermarket junk that doesn't fit and save lots and lots of time which for him to have me do the work saves him lots of MONEY (time=money). My best bet here is to find original ones that are in great shape. I can't really see myself spending $300-$350 for each fender plus shipping to my door and then have to work the hell out of them to fit.
Now another bad part. The bottoms of the doors are rotted as well but even worse, the part behind the bumper and at the bottom of the rubber for the tailgate is rotted out too! Someone took bondo and soda cans cut to flat peices it seems and screwed them on. All below the taillights is rotted out. The spare tire tub inside is rotted through to the fender wheel well and bottom lip of the back part of the quarter panel. I am not sure if the quarter panel is supposed to be below it or the bottom flush but right now it's got soda can sheet metal screwed flush to it and looks bad and rusting too.
I will have pics soon but plan to start striping this thing tomarrow and get it off to a sand blaster to blast EVERYTHING inside and out. I'm really hoping I dont give up on this thing if I dont find parts soon and get rid of it. :(
If anyone knows where I can get a rust free tailgate and fenders I'd greatly appreciate it! It seems the guy that sold it to me either lied or didn't even know himself that everything was covered up and bondoed. I knew the doors and floors were rusted and bottoms of fenders but not the back end and around the headlights.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of repair work a head of you. Needs some pics

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to post the pics up tomarrow of what I got today and when I first got the car. At first the car looked nice with only slight hints of bondo (couldn't even see any rust holes of course) and the guy said it was original paint and that he never did anything to it body wise. He either lied or I think he really just did not know and was honest about it. I can't point the blame on anybody but myself though. I liked the car at the time and bought it so that was my choice and I'm just stuck with the mess that's all. I wish I would have just built my 27 track T car instead and it would be done by now instead of having to probably fork out about $3500 in body work materials and paint for this car. Luckily from some of the jobs I am doing I have some bondo, sand paper and thinner left over. I did already get my primer as well so that helps but still need lots of other materials just to take care of the rust. :no:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts