Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 when up in flames 5 years ago and I bought it back fro insurance company. Since then, I have completely rebuild it, replacing all removable panels, hood and fenders, new bumpers, complete CBR front suspension, 385 stroker, new transmission and rear end and down to bare metal paint job. The interior is all brand new also. My question is, how does the salvage title affect the resell value?. The fire was only in the engine compartment, blew a fuel line.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Anyone who buys a car with a salvage title would expect to get quite a deal on it. I would say two cars side by side, all things equal, the salvage title would impact the price by $10K. I personally would walk away from it. You should just enjoy it...none of them are worth what we dump into them anyway!!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Sometimes a vehicle gets a salvage title from an insurance pay off for the loss due to theft. When a stoten vehicle gets recovered subsequent to a settlement it receives a “Salvage” title..

A friend of mine had a 65 GMC c20 that got stolen.. It was his fathers truck and had been in the family for 30 years.. 5 years later my friend was at a local car show event and sees his truck on display.. He calls the cops and they find evidence in the truck that substantiates his claim and he gets his truck back.. I know this is a rare situation for sure but the truck was in pretty much the same condition it had been when stolen save a little paint disguise and different wheels.. I don’t know the circumstances and details on the insurance coverage on this particular vehicle but the point is that sometimes vehicles are recovered intact and due to a total loss payout get a “Salvage” title..

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you're buying a salvage title Prius, I'd assume you'd get the car for 20% less give or take.

But I'm not really seeing how there would be much of a price difference on an antique or classic car unless maybe it's some numbers matching Mecum concourse type car. By the time these cars are all restored and rebuilt, who cares what's on the title?

Would I ever look down my nose at a reasonably priced classic car due to a salvage title? no way! You drive the car, you don't drive the title.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You could talk to your local DMV to see what it would take to obtain a rebuilt title. Not sure if this is available in all states.

A rebuilt title is less off putting than a salvage title, IMO.

Rob

·
Vendor
1,717 Posts
It totally depends on the state. California used to be $500 or more in damage and a police report, the insurance company could `total` the vehicle. So unless the car was rare, the salvage title was borderline irrelevant, as it did not take much to incur a salvage. People would try to use it as leverage in a transaction, but it would only get you so far if the car was solid.

I had a salvage title removed once, took two years and a lot of headaches, but it was possible. That was about 15 years ago and I imagine things have changed. A lot of the DMV loopholes have been closed up.

If you can show evidence that explains what happened with the car, the extent of the damage and how it was properly repaired, that would help your case in a resell situation. You are going to likely loose some value due to the "salvage" mark, but the fact the state re-certified the vehicle for the road shows it did not incur severe damage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Talk with your insurance people too. I have heard that some insurance companies will not insure salvage titled vehicles for comprehensive. They will insure collision, but will not rebuild a salvage titled vehicle.

When my insurance company totaled a motorcycle of mine they offered to sell what was left back to me as part of the settlement but made it clear they would not insure it for comprehensive (repair) damage after I rebuilt it. Fortunately, I didn't want it back anyway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
2 cars side by side exact identical cars in every way, except for the titles. Which one are you buying?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Seriously, the valuations on some of these cars today is phenomenal.. Take a walk back in time to the late 70’s into the 90’s and what they were worth at that time.. A minor fender bender could get you totaled out pretty easily.. If you had one of these old heaps back then had an accident that met the $500 dollar collision damage threshold, it could put you in total loss territory and depending on your circumstances that might not sound like too bad of a deal “at that time”.. You could buy your car back, pocket a few bucks, and continue to drive your car with a Salvage title.. No big deal back then.. Now these cars are worth a whole lot more then they were and there’s less of them still around. A rust bucket with a clean title is a prize not because of its condition but because of the title status..

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
I don't think the salvage title will make much difference at all with your car, since you own it already. If you are after a numbers matching legacy car with a pedigree and provenance, it sure will, but for a heavily modified vehicle most guys are looking at the craftsmanship and quality of the work. Who remembers the last time someone asked Brizio or Trepanier if their latest custom has a salvage title?

·
Vendor
1,717 Posts
Seriously, the valuations on some of these cars today is phenomenal.. Take a walk back in time to the late 70’s into the 90’s and what they were worth at that time.. A minor fender bender could get you totaled out pretty easily.. If you had one of these old heaps back then had an accident that met the $500 dollar collision damage threshold, it could put you in total loss territory and depending on your circumstances that might not sound like too bad of a deal “at that time”.. You could buy your car back, pocket a few bucks, and continue to drive your car with a Salvage title.. No big deal back then..
And that is exactly what my scenario was. Car was actually parked on the side of the road when it got hit. Crushed the quarter panel and popped out the rear window. It looked terrible but there was zero structural damage.

The insurance company `totaled` the car without my approval, which was against the law (at least at that time). I decided to fight them and won - salvage title reversed and got my money.

At the time (1990s) I was working with people that dealt in import / export and grey market cars. Seeing salvage titles, liens, government titles, cars that had never been titled was common place. Serious buyers had the vehicles properly inspected and life went on. Flood and fire damage were the only usual concerns, and those cars were normally avoided (or parted out). And missing emissions equipment. We actually had some kind of federal agents show up regarding a newer Corvette that had had its cats removed (not us). It had been caught in a required smog inspection for title transfer.

Off the top of my head I can think of 4 cars I have possessed that had title `complications`. All were sold under full disclosure and without issue. If the salvage is causing issue for the prospective buyer, they are the wrong buyer for the car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
2 cars side by side exact identical cars in every way, except for the titles. Which one are you buying?
they are the exact car right? twinsies? Well - which one is cheaper?

I wonder how many 69 camaros that are drooled over at cruise-ins have a salvage title stashed away somewhere back home. I'm going to take a guess here that the owners have just as much fun with the car. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Every state is probably different. Some years ago I purchased a 69 Camaro for my son and it had a salvage title. We restored the car and when we went to the DMV to register it in his name they gave us a form to have the highway state patrol inspect it. They checked to make sure everything worked on it and then signed off on the form. When we went back to the DMV they gave us a regular title for it. It was no longer a salvage vehicle.

·
Registered
920 Posts
they are the exact car right? twinsies? Well - which one is cheaper?

I wonder how many 69 camaros that are drooled over at cruise-ins have a salvage title stashed away somewhere back home. I'm going to take a guess here that the owners have just as much fun with the car. :D
Exactly, you'll buy the salvage title one if its cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think the salvage title will make much difference at all with your car, since you own it already. If you are after a numbers matching legacy car with a pedigree and provenance, it sure will, but for a heavily modified vehicle most guys are looking at the craftsmanship and quality of the work. Who remembers the last time someone asked Brizio or Trepanier if their latest custom has a salvage title?
Salvage ( rebuilt ) title is a huge black cloud over the value of a vehicle. Lets face it. Cars that are rebuilt with new sheet metal, paint , interiors, drive train are one hell of an investment. Some day one will want something different being tired of meeting the exact model on every street corner. Sign goes up for sale. Personally after being a salvage inspector for fifteen years I know how some " cobble " repairs for five hundred that should take a thousand in replacement parts plus professional labor techniques. Can one tell from a visual inspection if the four tires sit square with the same force it came from the factory with ? I have witnessed frame machines stretch frames back into length but a torsion of distributed weight remains unchecked. Driving on wet or ice covered pavement may make this a challenge.
Do salvage repairs have a picture of the complete repair ? The myth of " only minor damage " is a great selling point but the reason the insurance company salvaged the automobile is they DON"T want it back on the highway.
Some companies refuse coverage with salvage repairs. They don't want to cover someone elses short cuts with the possibility of used or non certified repair parts or remaining damage felt to be ok enough to sell to someone. There are also Insurance Claim Paid Titles which indicate major ( not a dent in the trunk lid or bent bumper ) repairs were completed but not serious structure repairs.
No matter the price when I see salvage, I walk away. Many are a " flippers night mare "

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Salvage ( rebuilt ) title is a huge black cloud over the value of a vehicle. Lets face it. Cars that are rebuilt with new sheet metal, paint , interiors, drive train are one hell of an investment. Some day one will want something different being tired of meeting the exact model on every street corner. Sign goes up for sale. Personally after being a salvage inspector for fifteen years I know how some " cobble " repairs for five hundred that should take a thousand in replacement parts plus professional labor techniques. Can one tell from a visual inspection if the four tires sit square with the same force it came from the factory with ? I have witnessed frame machines stretch frames back into length but a torsion of distributed weight remains unchecked. Driving on wet or ice covered pavement may make this a challenge.
Do salvage repairs have a picture of the complete repair ? The myth of " only minor damage " is a great selling point but the reason the insurance company salvaged the automobile is they DON"T want it back on the highway.
Some companies refuse coverage with salvage repairs. They don't want to cover someone elses short cuts with the possibility of used or non certified repair parts or remaining damage felt to be ok enough to sell to someone. There are also Insurance Claim Paid Titles which indicate major ( not a dent in the trunk lid or bent bumper ) repairs were completed but not serious structure repairs.
No matter the price when I see salvage, I walk away. Many are a " flippers night mare "
Somehow I am doubtful of the wonderful intentions of the insurance companies. I'll bet it is strictly a monetary decision, if the cost of the repairs exceeds the total loss threshold for your state, it's totaled.

"Tired of meeting the exact model on every street corner"? Your location is a mystery to us, but I live in California. We have a lot of old cars out here and it's not unusual to see an older car on the road, but it's not real common. I drive a 1972 BMW E3 as my daily driver, and in the 13 years I've been driving it I have yet to see another E3 on the road. I see them if I go to Cars and Coffee at the right place, but not on the road. As I also own a 67 Nova, I look for them as well, and they are just as rare on the road as my old BMW. Weekends and holidays are the best time to see them, early in the morning on the freeway as they caravan to a car show somewhere.

I understand the skepticism about salvage titles, it is buyer beware. Also, there could be some really shoddy work done on a clean titled car, especially one from an area of the country where rust is a huge problem. If you are going to pay good money for a 50 year old car, you need to be able to conduct a proper inspection, and hopefully the seller has good documentation.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
It depends. If I was in the market for an original or restored Nova, I would never even consider buying one with a reconstructed or salvage title. Regardless of what anyone on here claims, it has a major effect on the re-sale value of the car for a collector.

However, if the car is a hotrod or modified pro street or something like that, the salvage title becomes less important.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Who here likes classic pickups? Somebody hit my sister's perfectly restored 1970 CST10 - hugger orange and white. It needed a new hood, one fender, and one radiator.

I bought it from her insurance company for $200.

I bought a new hood, one fender, and one radiator. Drove the hell out of it, got compliments wherever I went, then sold it for an astronomical amount of money a year later. Never in that one year did I cry into my beer because the title was listed as salvage.

If anyone here is awake at night because of a salvage titled first gen Nova, give me a call and I will gladly take it off your hands so you can buy a car with a clear title.:D

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
5 reasons to avoid salvage-title cars

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/Salvage-title-car-insurance.aspx

"The description sounds good. The miles are low and the photos are spotless.

But then there's the asterisk: It's got a salvage title.

The seller assures you the damage was cosmetic, that no structural damage occurred. He's certainly offering a substantial break on price. What should you do?

Run.

Most salvage title cars are priced at least 5 percent below market, which seems like a good deal. But in most cases the true value is much, much less. Consumer Reports calculates that a salvage-title car is worth 50 percent of its Kelley Blue Book value, at best."

This may sound a bit severe but there is no doubt that the salvage title definitely has a detrimental effect on the value of a car. The majority of vehicles with salvage titles are cars that were totaled by the insurance Co. and were bought as salvage.

My father is a vice president of claims at a major insurance Co. He is also a CPCU (chartered property casualty underwriter). He tells me that when someone comes to his insurance company wanting to insure a car with a salvage title, they automatically knock off at least 25% of the Blue Book value. So in other words if the Blue Book value is $10,000 and you total the car, the insurance company will only pay a maximum of $7,500. It may even be less than that depending on the actual estimated value after they look at it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts