Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new PUI headliner, sail panels, and sunvisors.
Look great!!!

I went out and removed the old headliner/sail panels.

Question is how do i install the new sail panels?

I look at the back of them and there are no clips/screws/etc.

My old ones had some kind of metal cleat attached to it with a hook.
No way of installing these on the new ones that i know of.

I believe i can staple down the new headliner to the cork first before installing the sail panels. Also assume that after glueing down the sides, the windlace and interior window trim will hold it in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Don't know myself so along for the ride to see where it goes...

My guess would be spray adhesive...:confused::confused:

Mark

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This is going to sound like a duh!, but....call the fabricator of your kit. I have a 72 and there were some plastic attachment pads in my kit; yours may have been left out...it happens. Pictures do help; the thing to remember is that all of the original stuff was made for sequential installation in a minimum of time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is going to sound like a duh!, but....call the fabricator of your kit. I have a 72 and there were some plastic attachment pads in my kit; yours may have been left out...it happens. Pictures do help; the thing to remember is that all of the original stuff was made for sequential installation in a minimum of time.
I checked with PUI Interiors. The assembled (covered) sail panels do not come with any clips/fasteners.
I will have to either rig something up, or just use glue and hope the windlace (trim) holds them in.
Any other suggestions from people?

·
Registered
982 Posts
you are SOL my friend, unless you have the original trim that went around the window on the inside, and along the roof on the inside.

there is a set of metal braces that the headliner attaches to, i think its glued on, and those braces are bolted to holes that run along the inside of the roof. i may still have a few of my pieces i can snap some pics with.

you will either need to fab up a way to hold them in, or get repros from somewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you are SOL my friend, unless you have the original trim that went around the window on the inside, and along the roof on the inside.

there is a set of metal braces that the headliner attaches to, i think its glued on, and those braces are bolted to holes that run along the inside of the roof. i may still have a few of my pieces i can snap some pics with.

you will either need to fab up a way to hold them in, or get repros from somewhere.

All the metal is there. I can pull the extra material on the sail panels around the metal strips and then put the trim (windlace) on.
I am talking about the 3 clips on the back of the sail panel. The new ones have just a piece of extra board (a hole in it) and no clips with them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If your car is a hard top the old sail panels should have what appears to have door panel clips that you describe as metal cleats that attach to the back of the panels you might have to fabricate new backers from sturdy cardboard that the clips are inserted into then just pop the clips into the holes.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
All the metal is there. I can pull the extra material on the sail panels around the metal strips and then put the trim (windlace) on.
I am talking about the 3 clips on the back of the sail panel. The new ones have just a piece of extra board (a hole in it) and no clips with them.
If your car is a hard top the old sail panels should have what appears to have door panel clips that you describe as metal cleats that attach to the back of the panels you might have to fabricate new backers from sturdy cardboard that the clips are inserted into then just pop the clips into the holes.
Do either of you have pictures of these clips?

That would help me out a lot!

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
sail panels

I'm just getting ready to do my headliner and looked at my sail panels, They came with 4 pieces of Val -Cro and no holes to mount my clips in. So I guess they took the EZ way out and didn't bother with the clips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My PUI "deluxe" headliner kit came the same way yours did - no instructions. They include cardboard inserts for insulation but do not include the sail panel boards originally clip'd in the same way the door panels clip on. My kit came with extra sunvisor materail that I am using to recover the original sail boards and snapping them in with the original clips. Those clips are available and the body just has holes.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts