Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AGR quick ratio steering box that is brand new, but my wheel has about an inch to inch-and-a-half of play in either direction before the pitman shaft moves. I tightened the sector shaft preload anout 1/4-1/3 turn and afraid to over tighten it and end up with a sloppy box and there is still about the same amount of play in the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The play is not in the steering column or rag joint itself, the input shaft to the box is moving with the wheel.

*Note: this is my second box from them, the first had a bad valve which they waranteed, does anyone else know more about these boxes?

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Not Right

I don't care what they say, that ain't right. I'm assuming you have tried turning the wheel with the front wheels off the ground and the engine off. If not try that and see what the slop is. Also, while the front end is up, move the wheel from the tire side. I'm concerned that there is too much play in the box.
I had Red Head in Seattle, WA do mine. They rebuilt the box and changed it from a variable ratio to the fastest available ratio. I replaced all of the suspension components and that thing is tight to drive. Very quick and very responsive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts