1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellers I need help.
I have finally figured out why the back half of my floor hump is cut up
( I think I have it figured out ? )
I have a Saginaw 4 spd- which I guess will fit the car 66 SS- it has been there a long time and I think some of them came in 66 Novas.
The shifter- Hurst sits too far back on the tail hsg so they cut the hump to modify.
Now the consle will not fit.
A pic of the shifter and hump is attached.

Question--- Does anybody have a Saginaw and if so what kind of shifter do I need ??

Attachments

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Jerry, i have a Hurst catalog here at my home, i'd be happy to try and identify the shifter (if it's Hurst) and tell ya if there's something different that should/could be used...

for the Saggy, i believe there's only 1-2 shifters... the bracketry that holds the shifter to the tranny on a Saggy is different than what's used on a Muncie...

can ya get me the numbers off the "Body" of the shifter ??? the numbers will be 4 digits long in most cases... can't tell ya Exactly where ta look, but it's either on the side where shifter bolts go through ta tranny, or in lotsa cases it's on the part that would be facing forward in the car when installed...

i'd be happy ta try and help in whichever way i can...

looks in the picture that the tranny or the shifter is wrong for car though... my guess is that it's the tranny... (ya didn't wanna hear that)

on a couple occasions, i've had ta call Hurst directly to get required info/help...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had a Hurst Competition Plus with a Saginaw in my 66. It was originally a 3-speed car and had to hack the left side of the tunnel to make it fit. The shifter did clear the bench seat and worked extremely well. Needed to use a large shift boot (it was a Hurst), but in hindsight should have purchased a hump.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will get under it after I eat this sammich. I would really like to keep the trans-hate to buy new one-$$$-So I need to get this shifter problem resolved.:)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
get out the slate & chisel and get me some stone carvings of what ya got... (i know yer one them "prehistoric fellas"... prolly don't have a camera) :rolleyes:

if possible, get me a side view of the installed shifter with linkage and bracket included in shot, and please, the numbers off Shifter & the bracket...

i'll do what i can...

i sent ya an E-Mail a bit ago... see if ya can pass the test ;) :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,177 Posts
I've got a three-speed Sag with shifter in the shop. Let me see if I can find it and snap some photos of the shifter and linkage...I'm thinking that 3 or 4 spd handle would be the same.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Bill... the body of the shifter is mounted too rearward... it's not the handle that JR needs ta correct, it's gonna be how the shifter mounts to the tranny in conjunction with all the rods going to the levers... a Muncie has a few possibilities to shift the shifter forward... the Saggy's another story though... it's the way they bolt to the tranny...

the shifter doesn't come out of floor in needed location ta fit hump or console...

not ta say bad things... i hope i'm wrong... but i'm thinkin' the problems a bit more involved than what JR's knowing yet... as he gets under there and see's how it's all connected... he'll see what i mean... this one's gonna be another "Tuffy" ta fix :(

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Maybe not so tuff. I have a sag 4-speed w/shifter from a 67 or 68 Camaro. The shifter bolts to the crossmember, not the tranny. Maybe the Nova was done the same way in 66?? Something to check out.

Randy (trying to add some help!);)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
maybe a different shifter off a bracket will work, but finding a correct shifter to fit application will not be easy thing... needs ta fit opening correctly ta fit hump/console..

here's his now... there's no bracket, the mounting holes are in tailhousing, no bracket that i see... looks like the whole assy needs ta be moved forward, what, maybe 4 inches ??? i dunno if it's gonna fly... i think he's gonna need a "Factory" shifter... not a Hurst... but confirmation of his actual tranny will be needed ta know (which i don't know) if the factory shifter will even fit the tranny he has...

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
How many different 4 speed trannies did sag make? The shifter I have is the factory sag 4-speed shifter. It has a bracket that bolts on the crossmember. If the second gen Nova crossmember is similar enough to a 1st gen camaro and 3rd gen Nova, and the chicken farmer has the same sag I have, then........

Randy (NPHNP);)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's the shifter the setup you need. I think these are very hard to find any more. You may have to build a mount for the shifter and shorten the linkage. I hope the pic can give you some ideas!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought a new Hurst Competition Plus for my 67 with Saginaw back in 1971,,the bracket that everything mounted too bolted to the two left side bolts that held the tail housing on.This moved the shifter handle right in the stock hump hole and worked fine with the bench seat.
Later when I put a new Super T-10 in the car we used the shifter and did away with the Saginaw bracket and bought the T-10 mounting plate.
The Nova Saginaw bracket didn't look like the picture above from loneagle ,,,although it looks like it would work.

Best,WP

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Jerry... how much of a rush are ya... i'm thinking this might be a strange coincidence... previously i told ya that i had a Saggy shifter and that i sent it off to a member here... well i have his in return.

i'm almost positive what you have pictured there is what i had sent away... but what i received in return "Might" be just what ya need... i have his rods, levers and bracket for his Hurst Saggy...

his bracket, i believe is home-made... so is one of his rods. but it worked other than the fact in his car he was slammin' his knuckles inta the dash and need it set back more... so what i had did that... but the shot of his tunnel looks ta me like his bracket on yer set up might get ya in the right location... send me yer address again and i'll be at the PO on Monday and this stuff is yers my friend... i'll send it all to ya ASAP.

any adjustments needed, i dunno, i don't have it on my car so i don't know "exact" history... but heck, ya can have it... if it works... GREAT. if not. more stuff fer ya ta pass on or throw away ;)

i Knew i wanted this stuff for a reason !!!

gimme a few and i'll get a buncha shots for ya ta see what i got...

if by chance what i sent away is what ya need... here's shots of what i had...

either way... i'm tryin' my friend :D :D :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
here's a shot of a 71 with the Saggy and the bracket i have... his is Forward... compare the hole in yer shot compared to this one... He needed to go backwards... You need ta go forward !!! maybe what i have will help... couldn't hurt ta try, Right ???

here's a shot of the rods... i gotta head out to the shop ta shoot the bracket...

be back in a few with the bracket shot...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
OK, remember, i dunno if it's gonna work, it's homemade... but i'll mail everything to ya except the shifter itself... you have that... take a look...

send me yer addy again and i'll send it to ya iffin' ya want it...

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
JR said:
Did it look kinda like this? I have been searching the world over to come up with an adapter.
Thanks, JR
Hey JR I have a spare one of those. If you want it PM your address and I'll head it your way.
edit > The photo you posted did not show up. I'll post one.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Here is the photo. There is a brace that runs from the hole in the plate to the passenger side upper extension housing bolt that is missing (second photo) but would be a piece of cake to make.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts