Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find any info on a Saginaw trans that had 4th gear as higher than 1to1?

I have checked all my sources of info and vendors but no ones been able to help.

I hadn't knew they made them until it was mentioned here. I would be happy if I could find out how to tell them from a regular Saginaw 4 speed, or where I can get parts to convert a standard trans to the 4th gear overdrive.

I figured with all the Novas built with Saginaws somebody may have seen one?
I have seen the 3 speed version with an overdrive in the tailhousing, but thats not what Im after. I need something that will appear to be a stock 4 speed.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
wouldnt it be possible to change the 1 to 1 gears to something higher?? or do you need on that was made like that?

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you can find a Saginaw 3 speed with overdrive, it can be adapted to a 4 speed. Not a lot of torque capacity, but it works. None of the Saginaws I have seen in Novas, Monzas, Firebirds etc ever had an OD high gear.

Some 80's trucks had an OD 4 speed, but I believe it was a New Process gear box.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
my 87 k-10 has a 4 speed with an overdrive 4th gear it looks like a saginaw i know it is one heavy trans.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
i did some searching.. and alot of people adapt the sag 3sp overdrive unit onto the 4spd.. but he said he wants a stock apearing case.. so adding a unit on the tailshaft wouldnt be stock appearing.. to me..

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

As far as I can tell the ones commonly used in the trucks were New Process units.

I have looked all over for info with out any luck.

I think IgnitionMan was the one who posted about it, and he usually has a lot of data to back up his posts, so I bet he has the specific applications, and may be some ratios.

I still cant figure how to maintain the shifter pattern with a sag and and overdrive high with a direct couple on the input? I dont think I have ever seen this on a sag transmission, shifter/side cover arrangement.

Thanks again

Jeff

I

·
0 Posts
They were used mostly in very light trucks and especially vans.

1:1 was thrid, OD was 4th gear. Thnis Saganaw had all the ratios inside the case, not a bolt on overdrive off the back of the trans.

Might try Anaheim Gear, Anaheim, California.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave, I will try them tomorrow.

I have talked to all my vendors and nobody has ever heard of a Saginaw with OD in 4th.

I have a few GM shop manuals on the light trucks and cars in the 80s and all they show are 3 and 4 speed conventional style Saginaw's.

Would you happen to have Anaheim's phone number?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Jeff,I did some looking and found this,might help.
"adapt the Saginaw overdrive (Chevrolet part No. 3924783), which was offered on '65-and-later Saginaw three-speeds, to his Saginaw four-speed."

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Jeff,The Hollander list these Two Numbers for the Saginaw Trans.
3886075 and 3920743. Seems to end in 1969.Maybe your could find a whole transmission?If you need it I will send you the link to the conversion.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,

Thanks Joe, but I think I found the info you were referring to.

I have seen the conversion to the planetary od style, but we are looking to keep it stock appearing.

I may be wrong but I think the trans that was used in the gms wasn't a Saginaw, but a New Process transmission. I think its not even close to the Saginaw, very similar to the Chrysler 4 speeds.

I have seen the Muncie conversion advertised as well.

I was hoping that there was an actual Saginaw transmission offered as a factory unit, Like IgnitionMan was referring to. But I think I may be out of luck. I will bet its the New Process unit.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Jeff,I might be Confusing you.The Two Saginaw Part Numbers are the Transmissions used up untill 1969 in the Light Vans and Bus's.That is going by the Hollander Manual.I would think it could be hard to locate either of those Transmission's.After 69,the manual stops listing the Transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I have the copy of the article from a Hot Rod magazine in the 70's or 80's that tells how to do it.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello.

Carl, it seems like I can remember an article back then as well. I was actually thinking (back then -late seventies) about building one and adapting it to operate behind a 400 turbo in my crew cab to tow with. But I never pursued it, and I wasn't sure it would handle the torque. Is that info available on line? I don't have a clue where my mag would be, but since I have never thrown a thing away I probably still have it.

Johnny, on this one I have a good friend who wants to keep his car all original as far as appearance, and would really like an gear driven od. No rules issues on this project.

Thanks for the numbers Dave I will call them after while.

Jeff

I

·
0 Posts
Seems to me, I remember those overdrive transmissions INSTALLED IN LIGHT TRUCKS AND VANS, not a conversion, OEM Saginaw factory.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello,

Well it looks like I struck out on the Saginaw overdrive.

I called the gentleman that Dave recommendended at Anaheim Gear, and it seems they never built the Saginaw O/D (except for the tail housing planetary style- 3 speed) in a production vehicle. At least that he is aware of, but he seems very knowledgeable about it.

He has a trans that I guess is what in mistaken for the Saginaw? Its a New Process 440? But it requires a different bell housing -shifter- etc.. I dont think it would come close to looking original. But I will ask my friend.

If someone does happen to stumble across any info on a Saginaw unit (if they were ever built) please keep me in mind.

I have a ton of Saginaw transmissions and parts, and would really like to to do this O/D. It seems the one Carl was refering to combined parts from different transmissions?

Oh well, I will and try to find that article, but a factory unit looks like a lost cause, atleast in this area. Maybe it was regional?

Thanks again for the phone numbers Dave.

Thanks

Jeff

1 - 20 of 50 Posts