Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy that I bought my canso from phoned last week and said he had some more parts for me(free). I picked them up today, one item was a four speed tranny. I've identified it to be a sag 4 speed, 1974. I cannot identify the shifter, also it's missing a couple of linkages. I cruised the hurst site to no avail. Can anyone identify if this shifter is GM??? Any ideas what if not GM? This is a 3.11 first gear tranny so I probably will use it if I can round up the parts. Internals are excellent. Ideas???

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need new glasses

Thanks flyer. You're right, it says "Hurst competition plus" where you have outlined, but no numbers anywhere. Should I take it off the trans and check the other side?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i've looked at quite a few Hurst shifters and only a very few of them did NOT have a number where i marked it... take out the one bolt and gently clean the area. sometimes the number is very faint and any harsh cleaning may make the number hard to read... i've had to use a magnifying glass on many occasions to read the number...

look Real close...

it'll be a 391-XXXX number

the number you find on the forward side of the shifter by the stop bolt will be a 2038, that's the body only number and it's on almost every shifter of that style, so it's of no use... look on the area that's marked for the "shifter" number... it's not the same as the catalog number... but in almost all cases it can be cross referenced...

hope i helped

·
Banned
26,231 Posts

if ya look close... there's numbers all over the shifter... pretty much on all parts making up the shifter, plate, levers and rods... they're all identifiable Hurst numbers... IF they are Hurst parts... the shifter is, the mount plate prolly is too... i dunno about rods, need the numbers ta ID.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's an old shifter it's been a while since they made one that bolts to the Saginaw (most don't have those holes). All you need is a couple of rods that fit nothing special if you know someone with a bunch of old Hurst parts. Take a real good look at the front bearing they are the weak point of the trans and I usually change them every time I but in a used Saginaw.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi,

It looks like an aftermarket husrt Comp Plus to me. I don't think any of the factory (at least none I have ever seen) have the 3/8 24 stop bolts in them.

I may be wrong but hurst used to have a very good parts break down of their shifter combinations. The parts may still be available. I probably have the numbers if you cant find them. The only real weird thing about the sags was that reverse needed a real long rod as well since it was in the cover.

Jeff

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
here's one sheet, there's a few others i can post when ya get the numbers off shifter...

all the rods & levers can be ID'd for ya if ya need... just need the numbers

the number ON yer shifter will coincide with the number "Shifter W/O stick"

·
Registered
710 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of my Saginaw with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter that requires a mounting bracket instead of bolting directly to the case like yours. This came out of a '74 Nova SS, but I don't know for certain that this was the original transmission or shifter in that car. I highly doubt it was the original shifter since it uses a mounting bracket, plus the reverse shift rod is very much homemade (you can see where it was welded together in the pic). Let me know if you need any numbers off this and I'll try to help out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shifter

Flyer, I went over that thing with a fine tooth comb, there is not a number on it. I think its an old shifter because it states, "patent pending".

I do believe its close to a 373 8607. It is the closest that I can find on the hurst site. It has the back plate that bolts directly to trans.

It looks like the parts they list will work with this shifter.

If I were to take the shifter body apart, what would I look for to determine if this shifter is worth using? What wears the most?

To replace the shifter bushings, I'd want to use STEEL, NOT plastic???

Has anyone used the trans rebuild kits off e-bay?

Can someone give me the part number for the chrome handle to fit my 64 Acadian/Nova with bucket seats?

JTW, could you possibly give me a close-up pic of your shifter and rods(underneath)?

Mike, good idea finding "rods that fit nothing", good excuse to hit some swap meets.

I think that I'll price out new rods anyhow just to see.

I don't have a lot of four speed experience, but what would be considered stronger, super t-10, or this saginaw?

Thanks everyone,
Floyd.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
this information is taken from a 1992 Hurst catalog... i also have a 1997 catalog, the older books generally have the needed info the newer books drop because of discontinuation... your shifter as close as i can see is a 391-4076 but i see no application for it (discontinued ???)

the handle ya need looks ta me like the 538-7436

take a look at these shots and see what ya think...

application...

handle page 2

shifter body ID 1

shifter body ID 2

when id'ing a shifter, pay close attention to the levers at the bottom of shifter (length/alignment and shape) and the handle attaching stub (shape/location)

i'm thinking yer shifter is Very old... i have one here that i've been in conversation with Hurst 3 times, pictures sent and they can't ID... yours May be one too... too old to ID. real old Hurst shifters used the plate like you have... newer units changed to the style ya see posted above by JTW.

i have the sheets for the install kits too... it'll ID all the individual rods and trans shift levers... but for what shifter do we look ??? if ya can't ID the shifter, we don't know if the rod alignment will be proper from what Hurst says application is, and what you have (un-identifiable)...

yer givin' us one a these tuffys here... tryin' ta help, but i don't know if i am...

edit: i ID'd the 391-4076... it fits a 65-72 Dodge Charger... so ferget that ;)

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a super t-10 is stronger. From what I've read, the saginaw is the weakest of the 4 speeds. Muncie's and t-10's are stronger. One guy at my dad's work said that him and his buddies used to always use the Saginaw 4 spd becuase in his opinion the muncie's twisted too much because they had an aluminum case. The saginaw has a cast iron casing that shouldn't flex as much. But what I've read on the internet indicates that the saginaws arent that strong. Maybe my dad's co worker just got lucky with the saginaw?

Hope I helped, maybe someone else will comment on this as well.

-Aaron

·
Registered
710 Posts
1fasbu said:
JTW, could you possibly give me a close-up pic of your shifter and rods(underneath)?
Floyd,
Here's some more pics:

Numbers on shifter: 3216274, 3306126-------------------------------------Numbers on bracket: 1175284

Hope this helps, let me know if you need a pic of anything else.

·
Registered
710 Posts
the Flyer said:
the numbers posted for shifter are patent numbers... not part numbers.... sorry ;)

the bracket number IS a Hurst number though ;)
Yeah I wondered about that. As you can see, there's no other numbers on that side of the shifter, but there was "2083" stamped on the front of the shifter just below the stop bolt as Flyer mentioned earlier. It was 2083 though and not the 2038 number that Flyer said appears on most Hurst shifters of this style.
Let me know if I can look anywhere else.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shifter

JTW, thanks for the picks, I saved them. (It will help me with rod layout)

Flyer, er the torch, er torchman:) , I simply don't know what to do, under chevy II 73-75 it lists 391-7875(shifter). Does the cat. give a pic of this model(diff. page)?

I see what you mean about id'ing the shifter by levers, and shifter stick hook-up.

JTW's looks like 373 8606(kit) or 391-7875(shifter). Except for stick hook-up.

Both 373 8607(kit) and 373-8606(kit) share the same shifter rods, although the appl. is different(same tranny).

I'm looking at the instructions on the Mr.gasket site.

Torchman, where do you order your parts from? Time to run some numbers. I'll check the locals too.

Thanks again.
Floyd.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
for the number you listed, 391-7875, look at the shot i posted that shows the 391-7879... remember, the shifter number is not the assembly number... the 391-7875 is the shifter With the handle... the number 391-7879 is the shifter all by itself... you can find good sticks by themselves on E-Bay... just be armed with the Proper number yer looking for and make sure the one ya see shows that number... the shifters i've bought recently were all from summitt... i buy mine "shifter only" as i've a collection of handles... i've found a difference in price up to 60 bucks by getting the shifter alone, handle if needed, separately... you'll still need the installation kit for the shifter unit you buy... all the rods, levers, steel bushings and clips and the mounting plate come in the kit... the handles from summitt i believe are around 50 bucks, e bay's quite a bit cheaper... i've seen em go for as low as 10 bucks...

the best advice i can give ya is ta buy the right shifter for the tranny and car application if ya want a "stock" fit... special Hurst shifters (Super Shifter's) fit different and aren't suitable for a stock console if yer runnin' one... so stick with the Comp Plus (the one you have and we're looking at and talking about)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
what year is this tranny and what year car is it going in ??? i'd like ta check sumpin'

edit: if ya go to the Link-Library and click on the Hurst link... go to the application listing. get shifter only number (shifter & handle part) and the install kit numbers... now go to the replacement parts section of the catalog... listed on the page you'll see the chart i posted above... shifter with stick, shifter only and stick... then go to the install kit section, look up yer kit. there you'll see the individual part numbers for everything in that kit... you Could write down all the numbers and check local auto swap meets for spare parts by the numbers and get the stuff that way... i'd recommend getting new stuff... also listed in that section, you'll see the number for THAT kit's instruction sheet... write that number down... now go to the tech i believe section and you'll see all the sheet numbers listed... find the instruction sheet yer looking for and click it... there's the instructions for the kit you wanna buy...

hope i helped...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts