Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having trouble engaging 1st & 2nd gear. It seems to be stuck in the neutral position. 2nd & 3rd gear engage freely.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
Newly rebuilt trans? That might account for some of the stickiness. Lube inside yet? That might add to it. But I would try to adjust the shift rods first. It involves putting a pin in your Hurst too...I can see the hole in your first picture. There are tons of videos on YouTube about it and your shifter's instruction manuals should show it. All that done to spec?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for your reply AllyMcReal. Yes it’s a rebuilt from a supposed reputable builder. I purchased it ten years ago and it sat in my heated garage. I don’t think its a shifter problem because even without the shifter attached 3-4 gears shift back and forth easily including neutral position but 1-2 does not budge. It seems to be stuck in neutral? I’ve searched all things Saginaw tear down on YouTube but everything seems to be Muncie. I’m a bit hesitant to remove the side cover without knowing something about do’s & don’t ? Any links or other Saginaw source info would be appreciated. Have a safe and happy holiday season guys.

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
I just had a 3-speed rebuilt by a reputable guy. He told me that, much like an engine, you should have some lube in it and turn it over if it's going to be sitting for a long time; air has moisture in it and, even if sealed, surface rust can develop inside. I bet it's a lube thing. Have you tried disconnecting the rods and shifting them without the shift rods, using only the levers on the side of the trans? If 1-2 still hangs up, the side cover will have to come off. Might just be something simple or a little lube. Removing the side cover isn't that big a deal, just keep it in neutral when you do. You might visually be able to see what's hanging up.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Are you spinning the input shaft when you try to shift it? Sometimes you need to be doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts