Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I installed a pair of reproduction side mirrors from National Parts Depot. My car did not originally come with a passenger side mirror and I was hoping to add some visibility, but the small size barely gave me peep-hole visibility to a small corner of the road. I added blind spot mirrors but even so the passenger side mirror was effectively useless. Not only that but the poor build quality resulted in a "floppy" mirror that wouldn't stay in place. UGH!

I did a fair amount of research into mirrors. I explored using factory "sport" style mirrors which came on '73-'74 Novas. Some people adapt sport mirrors from 2nd gen Camaros as well. The problem is these all have flat mirrors which means the visibility likely wouldn't be much better. Then I came across another option: Scott Drake CONVEX side mirrors (PN 684501-C & 684502-C).

Convex side mirrors are commonplace on modern cars, especially on the passenger side. They are the reason you see the text "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" The mirror is curved to collect a wider field of view, at the expense of making objects look smaller / farther away.

Here is a video comparing the factory-syle flat mirrors (with convex blind spot mirrors added) to the Scott Drake convex mirrors:

https://youtu.be/HhaVCwFo6J8

Here is the passenger side mirror installed. Notice the "Objects in mirror" text.

I took photos before and after from the driver's seat with the car in the garage. Look how much more can be seen out of the convex mirrors. On the passenger side all I could see before was a sliver next to the garage door when I was backing out. Now I can see the car next to me, the garage door opening and my own car! Much better!

Here is a video driving down the road. It's very hard to capture how much better these are but the difference was night and day. The passenger side is SO MUCH BETTER!

https://youtu.be/gl8vWSStNOE

This upgrade cost <$100 and now I can confidently make my way through traffic without guessing if someone crept into my blind spot. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My 58 Impala has bullet type mirrors from a 70's or 80's car. Because of the placement, you can hide an 18 wheeler in the blind spot...maybe I should look for replacement glass. The vent wings are part of the problem on all theses cars as far as rear visibility is concerned.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
After replacing my broken passenger-side mirror, I realized why the previous owner had never bothered to fix it -- it was pretty much useless.
All I ever use it for now is checking to see if anyone is standing on that side of the car, when backing into the garage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
FWIW. For years I adjusted my passenger side mirror like most other people. I was taking an instructor course for performance driving when I learned a trick that has worked well for me.

Most people (me) adjust the passenger side mirror so the passenger door handle and side of the car can be seen.

Adjust the mirror so you can see level down the road, and then push it out so the side of your car is not visible unless you lean slightly to the right. Even with flat mirrors you can see most of, or all of the lane next to you if vehicles are there. Once you get use to that look, push it out a little bit more. That gives you even more vision for hidden vehicles. Find the spot that works best for you.

Once you get use to this mirror positioning, I think you will like it. I now have mine adjusted to the point I can see a vehicle in the lane next to me until it is almost in my peripheral vision.

Craig

P.S. Works on the driver's side too.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adjust the mirror so .... the side of your car is not visible unless you lean slightly to the right.
This is how I adjust my mirror as well and it helps considerably to increase the field of view. In was not, in my opinion, enough to make the factory passenger mirror useful.

·
Registered
759 Posts
FWIW. For years I adjusted my passenger side mirror like most other people. I was taking an instructor course for performance driving when I learned a trick that has worked well for me.

Most people (me) adjust the passenger side mirror so the passenger door handle and side of the car can be seen.

Adjust the mirror so you can see level down the road, and then push it out so the side of your car is not visible unless you lean slightly to the right. Even with flat mirrors you can see most of, or all of the lane next to you if vehicles are there. Once you get use to that look, push it out a little bit more. That gives you even more vision for hidden vehicles. Find the spot that works best for you.

Once you get use to this mirror positioning, I think you will like it. I now have mine adjusted to the point I can see a vehicle in the lane next to me until it is almost in my peripheral vision.

Craig

P.S. Works on the driver's side too.
Yep, almost everyone on the road has their mirrors adjusted incorrectly. Just for fun, next time you are out on the freeway, pay attention to how often you can see the face of the driver of the car that is directly in front of you in their driver side mirror. If it's pointed directly at their face, they have their mirror adjusted wrong.

If you can see the side of your car, the mirror is pointed BEHIND the car (That's what the interior rear view mirror is for) and creates HUGE blind spots. Adjusting as you mentioned above is the right way and drastically increases your viewing area.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,843 Posts
Good info

and, it does make a difference

thanks for posting , and for the part #'s

(are they USA made --- hold their position good ? ).

jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an aftermarket passenger side mirror that matches the drives oem mirror and it's completely useless. I put a spot mirror on it, but it took up way too much of the original lens and it's a waste also. Both side mirrors are adjusted out so as not to see any of my car. Wished I hadn't installed the passenger mirror. I think I'll give the ones suggested here a try. Gotta do something

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I replaced the drivers side mirror with one from a Volvo 142, it covers the original holes, can be adjusted properly with vent wings, blue tint and it's slightly convex. Looks normal on the car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought an aftermarket passenger side mirror that matches the drives oem mirror and it's completely useless. I put a spot mirror on it, but it took up way too much of the original lens and it's a waste also. Both side mirrors are adjusted out so as not to see any of my car. Wished I hadn't installed the passenger mirror. I think I'll give the ones suggested here a try. Gotta do something
It sounds like you're going through exactly what I went through. Try the convex passenger mirror - I think you'll be surprised at how much better it is. It's very hard to show in photos or video. I really like the convex driver's side mirror too, but the passenger side made the biggest difference.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
I'll agree that a convex right-side mirror really improves the safety of any car, but I still prefer 'flat glass' in my driver's side mirror.

Almost all my cars also get 2" stick-on convex mirrors on both sides (yes, even on the convex right-side mirror). Pickup trucks with large mirrors get 3" or larger stick-ons. These belong in the LOWER OUTSIDE corner of the regular mirrors. (Look at any big truck to see where theirs are installed...:rolleyes:) The other point is that they should be high-quality products, which, if chosen correctly, don't have to be that expensive. I prefer the GROTE 12201-5.

Besides providing additional safety, there's another advantage. If they're installed in the correct position and adjusted properly, you should be able to see both your back tires, which is a huge help when backing-up or parking!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience. Our 71 has some sports car mirrors, not sure what they came off of? Will have to look into a pair of convex mirrors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts