Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 90's S10 rear axle swap under my 69?
I found one with 3.73 and limited slip about 2hrs from me. Guys says it's 60" between the wheel mounting surfaces.

I looked through the site, but can't find info on anyone thats done the swap.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
There’s probably not a lot of people doing this swap so trying to find that information here may be difficult.

Most S10 2wd axles are 7.5”, 10 bolts, that are 54.25” wide to the wheel mounting surfaces.. This is pretty much the case from 1982-2004. What you might have found is possibly a 4x4 ZR2 package 8.5” 10 bolt.

ZR2

The ZR2 package was an off-road package available for the second generation S-10. The ZR2 package included a 4-inch (100 mm) wider track width, a boxed ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points, larger wheel and axle bearings, 31-inch all-terrain tires, a suspension lift (approximately 3 inches more ground clearance versus a regular four-wheel drive S-10), upgraded Bilstein suspension, fender flares, alloy wheels, and an 8.5-inch Chevrolet 10-bolt rear differential with 3.73:1 gears and an Eaton MLocker (coded as G80).

This could be a pretty good find.. The spring pads will probably need to be repositioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'm gonna go get it and give it a shot.

There’s probably not a lot of people doing this swap so trying to find that information here may be difficult.

Most S10 2wd axles are 7.5”, 10 bolts, that are 54.25” wide to the wheel mounting surfaces.. This is pretty much the case from 1982-2004. What you might have found is possibly a 4x4 ZR2 package 8.5” 10 bolt.

ZR2

The ZR2 package was an off-road package available for the second generation S-10. The ZR2 package included a 4-inch (100 mm) wider track width, a boxed ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points, larger wheel and axle bearings, 31-inch all-terrain tires, a suspension lift (approximately 3 inches more ground clearance versus a regular four-wheel drive S-10), upgraded Bilstein suspension, fender flares, alloy wheels, and an 8.5-inch Chevrolet 10-bolt rear differential with 3.73:1 gears and an Eaton MLocker (coded as G80).

This could be a pretty good find.. The spring pads will probably need to be repositioned.

·
Registered
907 Posts
They also made an 8.5(they call it an 8.6) from an s10 that is just over 54” but it’s very rare. I found one after about a year of looking. It’s a good swap. Mine came from a 2003 s10 blazer with disc brakes and 3.42 gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have the rear end from a 94 s10 on mine
i used the leaf springs as well the front eye bolts line up with the oem location but the rear you will have to move the bolt hole closer to the axle as the springs are shorter but they will work
if you use shackles and shocks from a 1500 chev itl add a nice rear end rake to the car :D
makes the rear end real stiff not much good for the drag strip but itl light and burn the tires off like there on a sheet of ice

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
It is going to be too wide and if it is the small 7.5" ring gear it will be too weak. The limited slip in most of them is a gov loc and will not last long in a performance application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts