Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search for S10 differentials in a ChevyII and saw numerous posts were i've been against them... ugh a 7-1/2" ring gear :eek:

anyways, i'm doing an about-face :eek:

for my '63 wagon which will be a cruiser/daily driver i've come across an S10 diff that i can get for a great price (say free) so i'm wondering exactly what needs to be done... is this a direct bolt-in for our ChevyII's or will i need to move/swap the perches?

this is a drum brake diff that i'll be swapping the LS type brakes on, i don't know what gears are in the diff, whatever they are it'll probably stay with whatever is in it. i'm sure whatever they are it'll be OD tranny compatible.

thoughts on wheel sizes that one can install with this diff? i've read that a wider wheel can be installed without mini-tubbing...

appreciate any info. i'm hoping to pick it up and store it until the Moordoor is done... the wagon will be next in line...

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Johnny, you want a 2wd rearend. They are 54'' wheel surface to wheel surface. I'mnot sure on the perches. I have one of these. I am not home but will be this evening. I can take some measurements & let you know. I have my 66 on the lift & am doing an 8" F*rd swap so it's easy to get measurements.
Pat

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi Johnny. Center perch to center perch is 38.5''. Backing plate to backing plate is 47.5''. On my 66 it measures 43'' center to center on the leaf springs. Outside to outside of springs is 45.75''. Hope this helps.
Pat

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have one in my 63 and the stock perches work with Competition Engineering subframe connectors (they move the front spring perch inward). I had planned on cutting off the perches and welding some on but it happened to work out without doing that.

Mine has factory discs from a 2001 Blazer that will allow a 15" wheel to fit if so desired. Keep us updated on how well the LS1 brakes fit, as I have a set sitting around and might toss them on the back.

As for wheels, I'm running 17x8s with 3.75" b.s. and it clears the stock wheel well. I did cut off the factory bumpstop and run an 1/8" spacer to maximize clearance on the inside but the disc conversion might do that for you as far as rotor vs drum thickness. Tire size is 255/45/17.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
The studs are metric but I think the bolt pattern will be the same as any 5 bolt Nova.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.75 (5 on 120.7) with 12mm studs. After the first year of driving it with different front and rear lug nuts I drilled mine out to accept 7/16 studs. I have the dorman part number around here somewhere.

·
4,534 Posts
The metric stud has a larger knurl. You will need to find a 7/16 stud with a larger knurl and drill out the axle. Also what year is it from? 88 & older will be 26 spline axles.

Miles

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was just posting the stock & longer ChevyII studs. if i get and install the S10 differential it won't matter to me if the rear studs are metric or not... and if longer studs are needed i'll chuck the axles up and drill them out for the appropriate size stud. ;)

unsure of the year of differential. i'll have to get the ID numbers off of it next time i stop over there...

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, anything you folks have to add would be greatly appreciated...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one in my 63 and the stock perches work with Competition Engineering subframe connectors (they move the front spring perch inward).

As for wheels, I'm running 17x8s with 3.75" b.s. and it clears the stock wheel well. I did cut off the factory bumpstop and run an 1/8" spacer to maximize clearance on the inside but the disc conversion might do that for you as far as rotor vs drum thickness. Tire size is 255/45/17.

what did you do about the rear hangers? this is a wagon so the rear hangers are different than on a car... did you just mount leafs on an angle?

i like the thoughts on the wheels/tires etc. i'm just checking first off if this is something i'd pursue... so as far as fitting the LS brakes etc... it's going to be a while, so i can't really say when i'd be able to report back...

thanks again folks. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts