Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to S&W racecars, and they have formed rear frame rails for 68-72 nova and connecters that connect to the subframe and go all the way to the back of the car. Does anyone have this? ...If so, what size tire can you get back there?...My rear measures 49'' end to end, so it's a little narrower than stock, and im doing a ladder bar/coil over setup.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
It all depends where you put the Rails.I just worked on a 71 that had S&W Rails and it had 17x32 Tires.They were Snug but worked.The Tires were to wide for my taste,I never liked anything more than 14" Wide on a Nova.
Joe

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If you install the rails at 24 inches wide and tub it plus stretch the opening 3 1/2 inches you can run a 16X33 Hoosier slick or a 16.5X33 M/T slick. I run a narrowed rearend but you should be able to get a rim with an offset that should work. Just check what rim offsets are available but the tire will fit. I run them both on my 71. With the rails at 26 inches wide the biggest tire that will fit is a 14.5X32 which is what I run on my 70 Nova. RM

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres the deal....i have a 71 nova, and the previous owner attempted to backhalf it 10 years ago, and it is completely wrong so im cutting it all out. so, i will have nothing but open space in the back. i want to be able to run an 11"-12" tire with my 49" rear when the car goes 12.00s, and when im done driving on the street and beef up the motor i want to narrow the rear and squeeze 31x13.5s....do you think id be able to do so with the DIRECT FIT s&w rails? ...i was thinking i could if i put a 2x3 x-member between the frame connecters and the frame rails and make the rails wider....i just have no clue what to do....

P.S....were you guys talking about the DIRECT FIT rails that fit with minor floor modifications?? ....because i was...

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I was referring to the prebent rear frame rails made to back half a car. Not familiar with a direct replacement rail. With stock replacement rails I'd think you would be restricted to the same dimensions as a stock rear frame which will not allow you to run a 13 inch wide tire. My stock suspension car will only allow me to run a 9X29 inch slick and it was no simple bolt on either. Had to adjust some sheetmetal inside the tub with a BFH, roll the lip, and use a different shock to do that and on a hard turn the tire rubs the spring anyway. Sorry for the misunderstanding. RM

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, ive made my decision. i spoke with my father and heres what i came up with. i will build the '73 as my street/strip car...ive relized at 15 years old im not financially ready to build a backhalved car, and i couldnt possibly part out and cut up a '73 with 26,000 orig. miles and little to no rust......so, the '71 will be saved until i have the money build it. the '71 will be the full on drag car, and the '73 will be the weekend warrior/strip car as well....it would cost me the same amount of money to backhalf the '71 correctly, then to buil the '73 alltogether...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts