Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting my 74 to a 68 using used parts and the last step is to wire in the parking lamps, I was just going to hook wires up to see what went to the parking lamps and turn signals but uppon opening up the lamp i am greeted with this

Seems like the lamp retained water. Bulb broke leaving the connector inside the housing. I sprayed it with some wd40 but other than that i thought it best to ask around before i break this oem piece. Whats the best way to go about getting this to working condition

·
6,558 Posts
I would unplug and unbolt the turn signal housing assembly and then try soaking it in a solution to see what kind of shape it's in.

I've used muriatic acid and water to clean things up but read up on doing this as you can clean it too well and just have some wires going to nothing.

For future reference,on my 68 I did find drain slots on the lens and if these get blocked water and whatever could get trapped inside the housing and then create issues like you have.

Who knows if the water went into the housing from the drain holes or it might have migrated in through the seal on the wiring and/or the seal on the backside of the light socket.

Once you get it cleaned and working right, maybe thing about adding some dielectric grease on the light and socket to keep any corrosion at bay.

Jim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would unplug and unbolt the turn signal housing assembly and then try soaking it in a solution to see what kind of shape it's in.

I've used muriatic acid and water to clean things up but read up on doing this as you can clean it too well and just have some wires going to nothing.

For future reference,on my 68 I did find drain slots on the lens and if these get blocked water and whatever could get trapped inside the housing and then create issues like you have.

Who knows if the water went into the housing from the drain holes or it might have migrated in through the seal on the wiring and/or the seal on the backside of the light socket.

Once you get it cleaned and working right, maybe thing about adding some dielectric grease on the light and socket to keep any corrosion at bay.

Jim
Great advice as always, i will try this as mentioned and update in a few days.
Edit: i actually cut into the black sleeve(as the wire was a bit short) and got rusty water dripping down out of it, safe to assume its been in there for awhile. Have been stored outside for 15 years now

Sorry but repop that's in bad shape. Or try to get another at a junkyard.

The day i find a nova in a junkyard in NJ is the day i play the lotto. Don't wanna fork over 130 for new lamps just yet when my front only cost me 280 total

1 - 4 of 4 Posts