Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone, I was wondering if anyone had advice as to take out the six bolts that hold the dooor hindge to the body. I used WD_40, and impact wrench, and an air impact, and they are not budging. I even broke the impact wrench screwdriver:mad: PLEASE HELP!!

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Hello again everyone, I was wondering if anyone had advice as to take out the six bolts that hold the dooor hindge to the body. I used WD_40, and impact wrench, and an air impact, and they are not budging. I even broke the impact wrench screwdriver:mad: PLEASE HELP!!
PB blaster

spray it on wait an hour then spray it on again and wait overnight

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
if these are the bolts that take the large phillips head screwdriver, This is my method.
I use an old phillips large head screwdriver with the handel removed to expose the splines that keep the handel grip from spinning. I'll then use a large vise grip pliers and clamp it on the splined end of the screw driver. Enguage the screwdriver in the hinge bolt while holding it steady with the vise grips. Then take a good weighted hammer and give the screwdriver end a few good hits. This will not only shake the frozen bolt threads loose, but also seat the screwdriver head into the bolt real good. Then use the vise grips as a leveraging tool/ breaker bar and slowly twist out the bolt screws. Work gradually and not too fast or too hard, or else the bolts will break. You can also use rust penetrant and a propane torch to help break them loose.
I've used this method on several cars and I've had no problems with it.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
if these are the bolts that take the large phillips head screwdriver, This is my method.
I use an old phillips large head screwdriver with the handel removed to expose the splines that keep the handel grip from spinning. I'll then use a large vise grip pliers and clamp it on the splined end of the screw driver. Enguage the screwdriver in the hinge bolt while holding it steady with the vise grips. Then take a good weighted hammer and give the screwdriver end a few good hits.
This is exactly what I did to loosen the screws on my doors. Gave the philips head screw drive a couple of really good hits with a hammer and it lossened up the rust behind the screws enough to break them loose.
Ron

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I also had a couple that I could not get out at all. I finally drilled them out. Drilling was very easy and I wish I did not waste so much time trying to loosen them.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
If paint is not a concern, try some heat. PB Blaster as above, heat with a propane torch for a minute or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got them out

Thanks guys. i have a impact srew driver tip that fits into my impact wrench.
that broke off thats how rusted these bolts were in there.
heres how i got them out.
i drilled a 1/4 inch deep hole with a 5/16 drill.
i spot welded a grade 8 bolt 5/16 x 1 1/2 long
took my 1/2 inch bre:Daker bar with a six point socket and even with all that i still had to lean on them. after the broke free they came out super easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts