Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my original vinyl top and found lots of cancer so i decided just to put a new top on it. What would everyone recommend I do so that the rust doesn't spread. i thought about rustoleum then glueing the top down, I would rather get rid of the vinyl totally but i don't think it would be fun to replace the roof. Opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If your roof is rotted through than it might be easier to just replace the rusted areas.

Im pretty sure Dale @ novasrus.com has 4th gen roofs to cut up if you need patches.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is there Holes in the roof?? if So I would make patches for those and put a liitle body filler to smooth it out then paint the roof color of the car. Ive always been against vinyl tops to much work just my suggestion

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the holes aren't huge and i took a grinder to the roof and pretty much isolated them. I really don't have access to a welding machine, how long would bondo last in those holes if I clean the rust? Like I said the holes are pretty small just a bunch of them like around the front and rear windshield.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well everyone here is going to recommend a proper repair and welding in the holes. However if your just going to cover it with a vinyl top getting the rust gone and then using a sealer like POR-15 to coat the roof so it will likely not rust again and then fiberglassing in the holes , then putting a new vinyl roof on would likely last the lifetime of the car.

If its just going to be covered in vinyl id imaging any body shop could weld the holes in for you and because its not going to be seen you dont have to pay for all the finish work and would be reasonably affordable.

-DD

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
If you don't address the rust on both sides of the sheetmetal its going to come back. Pull the headliner cut out the bad spots or replace the complete roof depending on your skill. I can tell you it is very difficult to repair a roof in patches because the roof wants to move as you try to block the bodywork and you could end up with swells in the metal and they will show thru the vinal. You best bet would be to remove the roof leaving at least an inch to overlap at the edges and get it completely ready to weld in and take the vehicle to someone who knows how to weld sheetmetal without warping the sheetmetal. It is much easier to do bodywork near the sides where the metal will not move when you block the bodywork.

Bondo and fiberglass are short term repairs when it comes to rust. Most all car restoration shops cut out the cancer and weld in new metal. What ever you do make sure you can protect the metal on the backside or you are just wasting your time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you choose to make a temp repair, DON'T USE BONDO. Not the regular bondo anyway. The stuff with the fiberglass which mixes up green is a better choice. Not a great choice, but a better choice.

The way I see it is this: if there is already a rust hole, and you make a temp repair, then what is the worst that can happen? It will have to be repaired ( correctly ) five years from now? big deal. it needs to be repaired ( correctly ) NOW. It is no harder to weld in a one inch patch than it is a two inch patch.

Everyone bashes fiberglass as a repair on rust.. but I have had fiberglass 'temporary' repiars last over TEN YEARS. On the other hand, I have done some metal patches which rusted back thru in under five. ( didn't get the back side coated well enough ).

SO take your pick. The most important thing is that you do SOMETHING.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Well everyone here is going to recommend a proper repair and welding in the holes. However if your just going to cover it with a vinyl top getting the rust gone and then using a sealer like POR-15 to coat the roof so it will likely not rust again and then fiberglassing in the holes , then putting a new vinyl roof on would likely last the lifetime of the car.

If its just going to be covered in vinyl id imaging any body shop could weld the holes in for you and because its not going to be seen you dont have to pay for all the finish work and would be reasonably affordable.

-DD
Im gonna side with you on this one. Sand or wire wheel all the rust off, to the best of your abilities, and yes, should be done from inside the car too, under the headliner. Then use the POR-15, its made to do what you are wanting to do. Then use fiberglass to fix any holes, dont bondo holes, you need a firm surface, fiberglass the holes. Then apply the new vinyl.

You would NOT do this on an exposed panel, but under vinyl it will work.

The key here is, to the best of your abilities. That has as much to do with your mechanical abilities and financial abilities. So yer gonna have to fix it, your abilities will dictate which route you take. Not everyone is making a show car, some us just need to make ours a lil better right? JR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts