Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best rust prohibitor product? I was going to go with zero-rust but want to get others opinions who may have used their product or other products that worked well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Depending on what you're trying to protect have it rhino coated then you can also choose a color other than just black

·
Registered
201 Posts
So im also working on some rust issues. Been researching the same thing. Havent decided on a product/process yet but, what ive found is people love POR15, however it appears to be a "sealant" that encapsulates the rust. Not a converter. My only concern is the possibility of the rust continuing to deteriorate and eventually cause the POR to fail/delaminate.

So, what i am probably going to do is first clean off all the rust i can, then convert it to an inert metal by using a rust converter like Ospho. After i have stopped the rust, or at least minimized its ability to grow I will then seal it with something like POR15.

I have read alot of people like Mastercoat permanent rust sealer as well. Only thing about this stuff is that its silver.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've experimented with a lot of them POR-15, Fertan, Permatex, loctite Etc... There is no magic bullet.

In my experience, OSPHO seems to be the most consistent (in terms of converter) and top coating with a good epoxy...

There are some good videos on u-tube showing OSPHO w/SPI expoxy top coat!

What ever you decide to use - do some test panels!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. I'm in the process of pulling the front clip off of my 64 moredore. I found a rotted area just to the left of the upper skirt mount on the RS. I've been looking for a firewall in case I need to replace it. Either way I will want to paint the firewall with one of these products.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are looking for a light duty rust converter, I just purchased the VHT version in a spray can.

I tested it on some surfaces and it seems to works advertised.

Either way, if rust is deeper than any surface rust I struggle to believe these chemicals will stop the problem.

The only ways I have ever managed to eliminate a rust issue, is to either cut it out. Evaporust has worked well for me when I can soak parts.

Because I'm working on a car and not a motorcycle, my current plan is to sand down as much as possible and then try this VHT stuff. From there prime and paint.

SPI mentioned above makes some of the best and most user friendly products I have used.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

If you are willing to use a spray gun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used POR15 like 15ish years ago some on my Nova...then on an S10 project(I believe) .
The S10 is long gone but I'm finally back to working on my Nova and hope to have it in the road next spring/summer.
POR15 is tough..just a longer process..of cleaning degreasing ...etc..
If not applied properly it'll peel off.

I happened by some Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer at Meijer one day for like $2.50 for a quart...ive spent the last 2ish months off and on slowly underneath my Nova wire brushing, using acetone/lacquer thinner then the Rusty Metal Primer..as a primer...then my custom mix of Rustoleum semi gloss and flat black paint..
I've brushed/sprayed some but I'm pretty happy with it..
The Rust-Oleum is cheap and it works ...I'm not doing a concourse restoration..it's a 74..but I do love stock looks.
I also have a running experiment going with the Rusty Metal Primer vs..rustolem rust reformer(spray can) on. A piece of Rusty scrap steel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4sxijhgCx_AV8aNJhQMOdJFVlNhwelRfDvp8I0/?igshid=1vh8bhfhc10zr

That's a link to my Instagram...3months onward and it's doing pretty good I'd say..this is 100% outside behind my barn..I didn't do any prep to the steel beforehand..just straight painted it

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
For me it depends on the part type/size. Getting rid of the rust is preferable with me. Wire wheel till it's gone if you can get to it. For the sub-frame I used the KBS frame kit, worked great. Inside doors and the body I knocked down the rust to a light surface rust and covered with POR-15. POR-15 must have rust to bond and seal or it will fall off. I did not know you could paint over converters with it? If the part is small enough soak it. Evapo Rust works awesome, see picks below. Got a couple gallons of it in a tray and started soaking. 24 hrs. for the hood hinges then wash with water and paint normally. If you order Evapo Rust online for store pickup from O'Reilly it is $15 a gallon rather than the usual $25. It works.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts