Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to be my first post of many. But i bought this car and with lil to no money i am doing this on my own and am goin to need advice until the end. I have obvious clear coat issues but right now i pulled off the hood and im starting to work on that. First time dealing with this much rust so i need to be pointed in the right direction.
i am doing the bottom first and then top

I worked on it for a small time today and was able to get to this but i am curious of the best way to get to rust in the hard to reach areas or is it just patience and a careful finger

Anything i can do with the rust? anything i can put on it to help me get it off? do i just need to keep sanding? or should i look into sand blasting? which i dont know much about or how expenses, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
613 Posts
Media blasting would be the quickest but most expensive. A wire brush wheel on an electric drill would do nicely on the uneven surfaces and a circular pad with stick on sanding paper discs would work on the flat surfaces. Back in the day I completely sanded down a 68 Z-28, with an electric drill and the stick on sand paper discs. Be sure to wipe the bare metal down with a metal prep product to keep the surface rust at bay for a day or two or wipe it down with laquer thinner and prime it right after your done.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Fortunately for you (at least so far) that's just surface rust. Buy yourself
a smaller pressure blaster and compressor or maybe borrow one. This
will take that off quick like 10 minutes or so.

Chuck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fortunately for you (at least so far) that's just surface rust. Buy yourself
a smaller pressure blaster and compressor or maybe borrow one. This
will take that off quick like 10 minutes or so.

Chuck
Yes, but if you don't stay on the underbracing you will destroy the hood. I ruined one with a little hand held blaster trying to clean up the bottom of the hood around the edge of the underbracing where your insulation is. But didn't notice until I flipped it over & saw the new dents in the exact shape of the outline of the underbracing.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Yes, but if you don't stay on the underbracing you will destroy the hood. I ruined one with a little hand held blaster trying to clean up the bottom of the hood around the edge of the underbracing where your insulation is. But didn't notice until I flipped it over & saw the new dents in the exact shape of the outline of the underbracing.
Any sheet metal will warp if you stay in one place to long. When blasting use
your left hand as a guide for heat. Also blast at 100 lbs and your good. I'm
in Florida and blast outside when its over 90 and never warped a panel. Keep
moving around and come back to hard to remove rust or use a rust remover
liquid but make sure its cleaned up well or it will bite you when it leaches
out and ruins your paint.

Always test any new process on a scrap piece of metal or where its not
seen later till you get the hang of it. Right in the middle of a hood is not
the best place to start if your learning. Plenty of other area's to try first
from those pictures.

Chuck

·
Registered
36 Posts
heat isnt the issue with sand blasting. the warpage is a result of the compressive force of the media, not heat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What do you do between panels where you can't blast? Everytime I slam my hatch I hear rust shaking inside. Would it work to plug most of the openings, fill it with POR-15, and slosh it around to treat it? Eastwood makes some kind of paint with a hose that you can squirt inside frames but I've read mixed results, and it can be costly.

I don't meant to hijack this post but BDPB beat me to the subject. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
heat isnt the issue with sand blasting. the warpage is a result of the compressive force of the media, not heat.
That's fine and I've heard it before....don't shoot in one spot as the
compressive force will warp it :)....but it will also heat up unless its
a Florida thing.

Chuck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it!!

Well i was able to get my hands on a grinders and sanders and was able to get the rust off and it wasnt really as bad as i thought. Only took me a few hours and a sore back to get it off. Im doing this with lil to no money so any work i can do saves me in the long run. I appreciate everybody's help and i can already tell how how much help is out there at the hands of the members of this site. Looking forward to more posts...i have more rust where this comes from, like by the fenders...this sounds about right? i heard it was the most common place for the novas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts