Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:just dropped the new 355 in my sedan and evrything is good except its runnin hotter. it used to run around 190 and now it doesnt wanna stay under 210!! i have a 4 row radiator, dualflexalite fans, and a weiand water pump.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i told you you should buy an alluminum radiator. it was prety hot today too. what size t-stat are you running? i had the same problem in my chevelle. bought an allum. radiator and wala! never breaks 185. also are you running the trans cooler into radiator? if the trans temp heats up enough it wont allow the coolant to come down in temp. how hot was it out side by you today? it was 104 here.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Fan shroud? what fan? I had the best luck with a stock shroud and a 17 inch Hayden flex fan

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
355? hmmmmm has this been bored? say 40 over? i know for a fact that once a 350 goes past 40 its a problem keeping it cool.
i have no problems with my motor and its 40 over i live in so cal run a jegs universal radiator stock nova v8 fan shroud flex fan and a mechanical edelbrock victor water pump i have a 180 t stat and the car never gets above 190 sometimes it doesnt get above 180 :eek: my friends 383 is 60 over with the same set up in his 3rd gen nova and has zero issues as well when a production motor gets around .120 is when it runs into problems

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool it down

thats right i forgot josh. u never told what seller on ebay u got it from or just tell me the brand and ill c if i can find it. and it was about 104 out here too. what about runnin more water and less coolant/antifreeze

·
Registered
70 Posts
Timing

Do the easiest first, ck your timing. If your timing is off your engine will be hotter. Do some research as there is some different firing orders for chevy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
also

This maybe stupid but if u used felpro intake gaskets b sure u put them on the right way if not it wont flow to the top end

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool it down

i put a colder t stat and put a lil more water than coolant and drove around for about an hour on street and highway and it stayin below 210 but i would still like to get it lower.next i will double chec they timing

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
way too hot

so i was just driving and i stil got hot again and then i figured somethin out. the fans . they seemed to be workin fine but once it went past 210 i decided to check under the engine and the fans where off!ITS A DUAL FLEXalite w the plastic shroud. i think its some of the wiring so im going to repair the wiring and c what happens.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Straight water will be coolest; I tried a 50/50 mix of coolant in a car with a marginal radiator, and it went up 10°. My Nova never gets anything but water. Dragstrips frown on green stuff spewed on their surface.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do the easiest first, ck your timing. If your timing is off your engine will be hotter. Do some research as there is some different firing orders for chevy.
how many firing orders are there? the only differant one that i know of that is differant is when you use a 4/7 swap cam. but i could be wrong!:eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
thats right i forgot josh. u never told what seller on ebay u got it from or just tell me the brand and ill c if i can find it. and it was about 104 out here too. what about runnin more water and less coolant/antifreeze
either order one from sumit or do a search for allum. radiator on ebey. i cant pull up who i bought mine from cause its been too long. but they are all pretty much the same. universal 2 1" row radiator. mine is a 19x 24 and fits perfect. but you might be able to fit a 26" wide one in there. i went 24 so that i could utilze the stock mounting holes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts