Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried installing the rug in the L79 today. The back went great but the front part of the rug was fighting me the whole way. I got the passenger side glued down and then the driverside just wouldn't lay down correctly. I had to walk away I was so mad! Anyone have any tips. I may order another rug and try again. I was thinking about cutting some lines in the padding on the back side so the dam rug will fit the tunnel better..... I hate when you buy things and they don't fit proper.....

Jason

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Don't know if you have a heat gun if that would help you or not. Only other thing I could say is to get a lot of sun(heat) to it which might be hard to do this time of year.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the heat gun but was scared with the carpet getting to hot. I had my shop about 60 F and putting it in the sun is not an option the outside temp was 28 F today in the sun. LOL.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Don't know if it will fit in your dryer so you can heat it up. Just throwing some ideas out at you. Probably too big for that unless maybe a big ole commercial dryer.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Deep breath

Take 2 in the morning, get the heat gun out and be gentle. You will have to heat and hold it until it cools, so some serious weights really help. If you have a buddy that scuba dives, borrow his weights. They work really well. Now if my sons rad this they will know why their weights were messed up.....it's okay for a dad to do that right?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Carpet install

I had the same issue in the winter time, put the project off till summer, let the carpet lay in the sun a few hours went in perfect...

Mike

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I will try the bricks and heat gun. I have the passenger side all set just fighting with the drivers side. If I am not happy with the results I may just order another rug and do this in the spring when I can leave it in the sun for a while. I will let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Know anybody with a steamer or rent one maybe?

·
Registered
69 Posts
commercial grade will work, I do interior work for a tow(wake board/ski) boat manufacture,

Steamers get hot, burn you hot, it will work, also the ones that they sell at Wal-mart work too, Conair brand name not the movie, get hot enough to remove window tint,

give it a try,

·
Registered
150 Posts
Carpet install...

Just a suggestion but if you can pull the carpet away as much as you can and heat the back side and maybe if it melts a little you won't see it. When I installed the carpet in my car I placed it out on the floor for a couple of days and worked it to the shape of the car floor before installing. I know it's a little late for that now but if you end up getting a new carpet try that. The carpet needs to regain it's shape after being stuffed in a box, sitting out it will eventually take back the form it had in the factory.

Hope it works...

Brian

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian I did that this carpet was laying flat for at least 2 weeks. I checked on it last night and I think it will be ok. It's funny when you walk away from a problem then go back to it everything seems to go better.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
The time out

It took me about 50 years to figure that out. Every time I try to force something, it doesn't work. Now I shake my head, take a break, maybe have a barley-pop or two and go back and realize that if I had continued, it would have made a mess of it. Glad it worked out for you. Pix?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok a little up date. I ended up throwing in the towel with this front carpet I ordered, it was from trim parts. I'm not knocking them just the carpet is hard to work with and isn't molded correctly IMHO. I was not happy with the fit and finish. I bit the bullet and ordered another manufactures carpet. Well today my new carpet came from ACC. At first glance I noticed it was a little thiner. But when I layed it out onto a table it was molded almost perfect to the floor. The only difference is ACC is 100% nylon not 80/20. Hope to have it installed by next week and I will shot some pictures.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Carpet install...

I got my carpet from ACC. I don't have really any carpet knowledge but the one I got from them you didn't need any!!!

Glad it's going to work out. :D

Brian

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
WORKIN' THE CARPET TO THE SHAPE OF YOUR FLOOR WORKS WONDERS, AND I MEAN MESSAGE IT TO THE FLOORS, ALSO DO THIS A FEW TIMES BEFORE YA START TO GLUE IT DOWN. WE GET CAUGHT IN THE MOMENT WANTING INSTANT GRATIFICATION, AND SOMETIMES WE GOTTA JUS' LET IT COME TO US! LET IT HANG VERTICALLY ON A CLOTHESLINE OR WHATEVER YOU CAN MUSTER UP. I'VE FOUND THAT STARTING IN THE MIDDLE AND WORKIN' OUTWARDS WORK THE BEST. SOME CARPETS NEED RELIEF CUTS TO MAKE IT LAY FLAT. I'VE PUT IN A FEW KITS IN MY DAY AND THIS WORKED BEST FOR ME! :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts