Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to remove the rubberized undercoating:D ....My 66' was zbarted, and undercoated...Is there an easy way/ without chemically dipping the car. I dont want to remove everything to get at it also.....so I guess I'm looking for suggestions.

I would like it stripped and painted but I dont see that happening. I will probably just shoot some shultz undercoating back on..

Oh, I ask because I just finished replacing the drivers floor(full). was not easy but it was gratifing. I did it myself, the floor fit nice. So I want to match up the texture under the car is why I ask.

Also noticed the undercoating probably is what saved the car all these years......it rusted from the inside out do to a leak under the drivers dash-cowl and that dammed rubber floor mat instead of carpet.....that really traps the moisture and causes rust.

I still have to fix/find the leak in the cowl..any suggestions where they tend to leak?
and how to best fix it?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
86 Posts
This was my 2005 winter project, and I agree that the torch and a putty knife were my best friends. I also purchased some aircraft stripper from Farm n Fleet and that helped alot with some of the hard to reach areas. This project takes a lot of time, but when you are finished, it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Richard,

Sounds like you have talked yourself into undercoating the car. I'd make sure you put a good epoxy coating on it first. Undercoating alone, will not protect your new pans.
If you want to strip the existing undercoating off, get some paint stripper, apply it with a brush, wait about 30 minutes and peel it off with a putty knife, or scraper. Get the cracks and crevices with a wire wheel, then neutralize the area and prep for paint. It's not as bad as most people make it out to be. Work smart not hard. :)

Rich

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys....sounds like everyone is in agreeement....Can it be blasted off? I don't think so but thought I'd ask.

I really like the way a clean undercarriage looks.

I may just prime it with epoxy and paint it. I can strip the car at a later date.
When I can take the time to do it right.

Take care,

Richard

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Richard, have you considered using a spray-on bedliner instead of undercoating? Its far more durable, which can be good and bad since its pretty much permanent, but if youre going to undercoat it anyways, instead of just painting it, it may be another option. :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i just undercoated my car yesterday with some of that spray on rubberized undercoating....a lot of surface rust and i didn't feel like prepping it, so we'll see how that pans out:rolleyes: ...no primer first either....but it looks good for now, if you go the spray can deal, buy at least 2 or 3 more cans than you think you need, the stuff goes fast

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
cl1968 said:
gasoline works too....
Got a light?:eek: I'm in the middle of removing the factory undercoating on my 65, been having good luck with a master (brand) heat gun and scraper. The left over residue cleans up nice with brakleen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Richard,
It's a lot of work but worth doing. A torch works best but a heat gun and putty knife will also do and that is probably safer. I also bought a cheap large serving spoon from the grocery store to help with the curved areas in the wheel wells, etc. Laquer thinner will remove the residue fairly cheap and fast.
Start at the front and move on from there but be warned, the visual of clean virgin metal with factory paint on it under the coating is enough to make you cry with happiness!
Daniel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again,

I will wait for now, I am installing a new suspension(springs,shocks,bushings,ball joints,tie rods,etc) ,4 wheel power disk brakes(CCP) and (CPP) lower control arm kit. :D

It would be nice to have it cleaned and painted before all the new parts go on but I need it up n running quick or my wife will go crazy on me.....I have a habit of getting carried away with working on auto's..:rolleyes:

I start with what I tell her is a simple fix and next its a resto.....so for now I need to get it back on the road.

I used some 3m Body Shultz rubberized undercoating over the new pan.
I thought about the bedliner but like (CDjr) stated, its permanet.

I did use a good 2 part seam sealer(SEM) on the seams inside and out and bed lined the inside floorboard...extra protection.:D

Take care and thanks for the help.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Novaholic said:
Propane torch and a scraper, the only way to do it......
YES YES YES- I just went threw this ordeal. I removed everybit of undercoating from under my 66 corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible. I tryed all suggestions, 4" knot wheel on mini grinder (What a mess that made) Heat gun, (Too slow pack a lunch) Self lighing propane torch a scraper and a hand type wire brush. That was the answer. It came off easy, very little work involved as far a hard labor. I removed every bit of it, all I mean all. Not a trace left. Then I painted it with semi-gloss black. Sure looks good now. I removed gas tank and fuel lines of course. Believe it or not there was very little fire. It was as if it didn't burn anyway. It would just get hot and come off like an orange peel. :)

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I stripped mine with heat and a scraper. I zinc chromate primed it after I sand blasted the whole underside and painted it with satin spray cans. Looks good but now I think I'm going to repaint it with the POR15 everyone says is great. I told my buddy about it and he painted underside of his car and it looks better than mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts