Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Pro's...what the best method for installing valve covers on a vortec 350. Many stories about Leaking valve covers...Thanks for your imput..

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hey Pro's...what the best method for installing valve covers on a vortec 350. Many stories about Leaking valve covers...Thanks for your imput..
They used rubber on the center bolt valve covers from the OE. I’d probably use the rubber. I haven’t seen any issues with them leaking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you have stock valve covers (or ones like them) that have the deep channel for the gasket to sit in, use the rubber gaskets. Many of the aftermarket cast covers don't have the channel, they need cork gaskets glued to the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've always used OE rubber ones on our crate race engine, which has the the center bolt. None of the racers have had oil leaking issues with them. I do keep a second set on hand, because when they get hot the expand and can be a bugger to refit, but once the cool down, the go right back in place.

The vortec head with the center bolt valve covers isn't prone to leaking like the older GM valve covers, because the center bolt helps to distribute the load evenly over the entire surface of the covers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts