Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again!! I know, I know...there's those of you who installed the oil pan gasket dry <for example felpro> with no problems...and there's those of you who gooped the corners and also put a small film on the remaining gasket...but my problem is in where the oil pan mates to the bottom of the timing cover. Yes, I replaced the stock timing cover with a new chrome Mr Gasket timing cover and it's leaking really bad at the bottom of the timing cover and nowhere else. My question is can I reuse the oil pan gasket <felpro> again but this time put a bead of RTV in the valley of the oil pan where it mates to the timing cover?...or should I go with a four piece gasket?

·
Registered
753 Posts
You do not mention what felpro gasket you have but if it is the 1 piece gaket, you can put a dab of sealer in the corners where the chrome covers meets the block. You do not need much.:no:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
You do not mention what felpro gasket you have but if it is the 1 piece gaket, you can put a dab of sealer in the corners where the chrome covers meets the block. You do not need much.:no:
What he said^^^^^

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
595 Posts
Many chrome front covers are poorly made and do not seal between the flat font cover and the lip that was welded on for the seal to sit in. You have to seal the seam between the cover and lip with a small bead of silicone or it WILL LEAK.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I did a suspension swap, had the pan switched to a rear sump, and in the process, somehow developed a HUGE leak at the front passenger corner of the engine, but it only leaks when I slam on the brakes, and the fan kicks it all over the chassis. Dont know what all you have going on, but this has been a problem area for me!

I used 4pc pan gasket, with sealer, managed to biff that somehow. I would like to see what this thread turns up!

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Check your fuel pump for leaks or blowing oil out of the vent whistle. Also check the bolt hole in the front of the block, left hand side by the fuel pump. If you don't have a bolt there it will leak (but usually only on hard acceleration?)

Kev

·
Registered
595 Posts
Remove the chrome in the gasket area and then use a one piece Fel Pro gasket with no sealers.
You can use any gasket you want and remove all the chrome but unless you seal the joint between the lip and the front plate it will STILL leak!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I had this problem with a 350 years ago when I changed to chrome covers. It turned out I needed a thicker seal between the bottom of the timing cover and pan. I could see nearly a 3/16" gap in there!:eek: It leaked a bit just running but every time I hit the brakes hard oil flew everywhere. I went to Napa and got a new pan gasket and it had two different thickness of seal for between the cover and pan. I put in the thicker one and it fixed my problem.:yes:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Remove not only the chrome, but the whole chrome cover and chunk it. Buy a good name cover and use the correct front gasket or one piece with the correct front gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My suggestion is do not use RTV that you buy at a local parts house. Go to your local GM dealership and ask for GMS. Its a grey sealant that we use and its much much better. Ive had issues with black rtv in the past on intake manifolds at home but since using gms in the dealership Ive never had a comeback oil pan, intake etc.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great input guys!!!!

I should've known better to go with a chrome timing cover!! One thing I did notice is the thickness of the cover versus the stock cover...it's not as thick! I would change it back to the stock cover but sh*t, I don't want to go through all of the trouble of removing all of the brackets, alternator, dampener, etc!!! With that said, if I were to remove the chrome from inside the lip what options would I use??....a small dremel tool and grind away the chrome?? And no matter what I'll probably put a small bead of sealant where the gasket mates to the bottom of the timing cover. I installed a new camshaft, lifters, pushrods, installed new roller tip rocker arms, so I have about 200 miles left during the break-in period before I change the oil....thennnnn, I'll tackle the leaky gasket problem.

THANKS, GUYS......!!!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Mr. Gasket stuff is cheap crap.:no::no::no:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Chrome anything leaks. :mad: you can get an aluminum one cheap. Spend the $40 and get the one pice blue gaskets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chrome anything leaks. :mad: you can get an aluminum one cheap. Spend the $40 and get the one pice blue gaskets.
Actually bought the blue felpro one piece gasket....I'm almost convincing myself to rip out <not literally, of course> the chrome cover and installing the original GM stamped steel cover.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts