Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to reading an article on a build that they say the Victor jr. is about the best overall intake for a longer stroke sb with larger cams, is this true?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
if i had a 406 , i'd go with the Vic jr ,,, even if a dual plane has a touch more bottom , if it has a decent converter , its gonna climb out of the low rpms so fast you'll never feel it

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
if i had a 406 , i'd go with the Vic jr ,,, even if a dual plane has a touch more bottom , if it has a decent converter , its gonna climb out of the low rpms so fast you'll never feel it
X2 !

I have a fresh 10.5:1 406 w 269dur @ .05 /".644 lift,4/7 swap custom SR with a Hurricane (much bigger then JR) w/"1.5 wilson tapered spacer and a Prosystems 780 DP carb.

T-350 with a Ati Treemaster "8 converter with 3.73's in the rear.

10/15mph roll to half throttle results in '150 of smoke.:D:yes:

The converter drives just like stock....till you want it to go then hold on!

Oh yeah, I had very similar results when it was attached to the 355.

Oh, the kick down cable is not hooked up yet either.

Don't worry about torque. The 406 has plenty of it.

If you were towing with it then the DP would be the choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Depending on the camshaft and application, the best intake I found for a strong running 406 in a light car like the early Novas was the Holley 300-25 manifold.

Not very popular because they don't advertize the crap out of them like Edelbrock does their Victors but I use this intake a lot.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Depending on the camshaft and application, the best intake I found for a strong running 406 in a light car like the early Novas was the Holley 300-25 manifold.

Not very popular because they don't advertize the crap out of them like Edelbrock does their Victors but I use this intake a lot.

Ed

Agreed, the Strip Dominator is a great manifold and will be going on my motor very soon when I switch to my solid roller cam!:yes:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts

Ed

I KNOW A GUY WITH ONE OF THESE AND HE SWEARS BY IT, I'VE NEVER USED THEM, I DO HAVE EXP. WITH THE VIC AND VIC JR. AND I LIKE THEM. VIC JR. A TAD MORE :yes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always like the street dom. on my sb mopars, heck even the bb, so i'm sure the strip dom is a very good intake.

My future plans for the 406 is 1.6 rockers, different intake, scat rods & forged pistons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A "million" years ago, ;) I uses one on a 406 in a customer's 67 Camaro.

I did up a 750 DP with circle track style floats and mounted the carb sideways. When porting the intake, the way the runners blended into the plenum, it seemed to be a good idea.

Should have seen the look on the tech guy's face when we opened the hood. After a few mid-ten second passes on the car, no one ever made fun of the "half a tunnel ram" concept. :D

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
A "million" years ago, ;) I uses one on a 406 in a customer's 67 Camaro.

I did up a 750 DP with circle track style floats and mounted the carb sideways. When porting the intake, the way the runners blended into the plenum, it seemed to be a good idea.

Should have seen the look on the tech guy's face when we opened the hood. After a few mid-ten second passes on the car, no one ever made fun of the "half a tunnel ram" concept. :D
Any pics ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts