Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Do somebody know the maximum rpm of the original chevy small blocks for 1968 / 1969 ?

I can't find anything about this here.
It's because I will ajust the redline on my new aftermarket tach.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
What engine do you have?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry.
The original 307 Engine is in my 69 Nova. A friend in the club has a 350 from a 68 Camaro mountet in his 70 Nova.

Thank you for the link.

I have see that the two engines have the redline at 4500 rpm.
But is they no difference in rpm limits between the two different stroke?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
swissnova said:
Sorry.
The original 307 Engine is in my 69 Nova. A friend in the club has a 350 from a 68 Camaro mountet in his 70 Nova.

Thank you for the link.

I have see that the two engines have the redline at 4500 rpm.
But is they no difference in rpm limits between the two different stroke?
Thanks
well that 4500 IMO is artifically low...most SB will rev way beyond that....if you notice in the link in my last post the tachs for the BB cars (with much longer strokes) have a higher red line...I'm really not too sure that these redlines are infact the REAL redline number for these motors...and by redline I mean the point that if the motor is reved beyond that RPM it will go BOOM and something will fly out the side of the block...lol...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I stock 307 or lower hp 350 shouldn't need to rev much past 4500 to catch it's whole powerband. Stock cams, heads, intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds make for low rpm usage.

Kev

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novaboy009 said:
I stock 307 or lower hp 350 shouldn't need to rev much past 4500 to catch it's whole powerband. Stock cams, heads, intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds make for low rpm usage.

Kev
Well the SS with the base L48 350 would have gotten the same 4500 "redline" but it didnt make its peak HP until 4800RPM....;) So like i said I dont suspect these are the "REAL" redline

1 - 7 of 7 Posts