Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas, need some help. A few months ago I ordered my axles from Dutchman. They asked for the dimension of the hub I needed, so I took my "trusty" pair of Harbor freight calipers and measured the rear rotor register hole. Gave them the dimensions. A few weeks later I received my new pair of 35 spline custom axles. But the rotors didn't slip onto the hub. The hole was too small.

As it turns out, Dutchman machines them perfectly to the dimensions given but I found out my trusty HF calipers are off. Since then I bought a good pair of Starrett calipers and now confirm that the register hole is too small by a few thou. I called a few local places about turning down my axle hubs and that is gonna be too expensive, around $400. So I'm gonna have the center hole on the rotors machined out.

My question is, how much larger than the hub should the rotor register be so it is hub-centric. I want the weight on the hub and not on the lugs?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
1,038 Posts
take your die grinder and clean up the hole in the rotor until you have the desired fit

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EM3, that is definately plan B. If i cant find a machine shop or if they charge too much, thats exactly what ill do. I just didnt want to get the concentricity off with respect to the stud holes since they are larger than the studs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
take your die grinder and clean up the hole in the rotor until you have the desired fit
Hahah what....

EM3, that is definately plan B. If i cant find a machine shop or if they charge too much, thats exactly what ill do. I just didnt want to get the concentricity off with respect to the stud holes since they are larger than the studs.
I just had to do something similar to some Moser axles. I chucked them up in a 4 jaw lathe and turned the hub down to desired size. If you dont have a lathe I would bet a machine shop could do it pretty easily. For me, the axle hub needed to fit my wheels which are 70.3mm. It was a very small amount for me, you can just barely see the step in the picture.

Land vehicle Helmet Wheel Sports equipment Bicycle part

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I may take one of the axles with me to the machine shop today. I'd rather turn down the axle hub so I dont have to deal with it in the future.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All went well at the machine shop. He knew exactly what I needed, quoted me $40 per rotor and told me to come back in a few hours. Sure enough, 2 hours later, I picked them up. They fit perfectly on the hub. No discernable movement around the hub but it slides on just right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All went well at the machine shop. He knew exactly what I needed, quoted me $40 per rotor and told me to come back in a few hours. Sure enough, 2 hours later, I picked them up. They fit perfectly on the hub. No discernable movement around the hub but it slides on just right.
Thats the way to make it happen!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts