Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right section to post this thread. I had been sharing the progress on this rotisserie in another thread, i have going on my rear suspension project...

I thought I would create a separate thread for it, in case someone searches for or is thinking about building one and hopefully finds anything in this thread useful to them.

I also wanted a separate thread, as I am thinking about selling it when im done using it, so that it isnt just sitting, if someone else could use it... I would just build another, if i need one in the future... I built it similar to the more heavier duty ones i could find online... a good place to start was the free "redwingsteelworks" diy plan. You can find the basic dimensions there. I built mine similar to that plan, with misc. differences.

I had been looking for deals and/or collecting material for a couples months now and recently had everything i needed to start building... I was able to find most of the material at a great value...

all of the square tubing is 3/16" thick. the plates for the wheels/casters are 1/4" thick... the plates for the front vehicle mounts are 3/8" thick. the pipe for the rotating assembly is schedule 80.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this saw (which Ive owned for years now) was a very valuable asset to this build... prob would have lost my mind with a regular abrasive style saw...

was able to get all the material cut up and just took my time, double checked my measurements etc... so that I did make mistakes that would waste too much material...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
your making it look easy
thanks... I wouldnt necessarily consider this easy... though it has been a fun distraction for me to "vent" on...

that reminds me to add a disclaimer... this is not a how to, more a how i have decided to build this... and anyone considering this, should be sure they are very very comfortable properly welding and building something like this... building something like this and using it, would be at our own individual risk...

for me it was much more affordable than even the cheaper, lighter duty setups being sold... though you can find some of the cheaper setups for around $900 plus shipping (at the time of this post)... I believe I have around $600-ish total in this setup (total completed rotisserie).... could be a little more... will add it up some time and see...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In this case, I am mounting it to my 65. I decided to use the rear leaf spring mounting locations... along with a factory hole/nut already existing in the frame... I wasnt sure just using the leaf spring would not move etc, so i figured using the additional bolt, would do...

there is also a tab sticking up in this area... i drilled two holes in a small section of tubing...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I used the hangers that were on the car when i got it... the tubing has a 3" OD and fit nicely/flush in this area... between the hangers... (side note/unrelated, there are so many layers of dirt on under this car... not a lot of rust, just a ton of dirt)...

i would have to trim the bushing down a little, to make it easier to get the mount back into position, after i welded it up, but this made for a very tight/snug fit...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tacked it together on the car., then took them off and fully welded them up... though the tubing attaching to the frame is 3/16" wall, it didnt "feel" right to me not to add some little gussets, so i added them in at the hangers (if that makes sense)...

I also added a tab between the top and bottom tubing, on both sides of it... though fully welded all the way around... just "felt" better to me, to do that...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
had two 6 x 6, 3/8" thick plates (not sure what I initially wanted to use them on, but glad to use them on something)... cut them down to 5 x 5" and transferred the front clips bolt pattern onto them...

didnt want to cut them by hand and the saw couldnt cut all the way through, so just clamped them and rotated them 90 degrees... would have taken forever to cut them... once again, ,that saw has paid for itself, through the years...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts